Wednesday 11 November 2015

Feijoada


           

            On Tuesday there were no classes at U of T because of the two day mid-term break that started on November 9. I spent most of the day starting my term essay. Of the eleven topics offered, I immediately went ahead with writing on the subject of talking animals as a literary device because it’s the one I’ve been thinking about for a while. I managed to put down almost three pages of ideas, though they’re not in the form of an essay yet. I still have two full days and a bit before my appointment with my TA at 12:30 on Friday. I want to have something of the essay to show her then and I also want to give her a chance to explain to me why I had such a low mark of 75% on my first essay. If I don’t feel educated after our talk I’ll be taking the essay to Professor Baker to ask for a reassessment.
            I didn’t go out for a bike ride because I wanted to make progress with the essay, but I wouldn’t have gone anyway because of the rain.
            The last time I was at the foodbank I got a can of something called feijoada, which is type of Portuguese stew made from kidney beans and pork, so that night I had it for dinner on top of some baked potatoes. It was actually pretty good, though I bumped it up a notch with some salsa.
            I watched a few skits from the Sid Caesar Fan Favourites collection. In one of them, Caesar plays a Mexican bullfighter. At the end of the skit he’s just gotten gored by the bull and he’s dying. His friends are gathered around him and they ask him why he didn’t kill the bull. He answered that he’d realized that “the bulls are out there just trying to make a living like you and me!” He has a series of last requests: a kiss, a puff from a cigar, a shot of tequila, and then he asks for an American cheese sandwich but changes his mind because he had cheese for lunch. He said he’d take roast beef instead, but another bullfighter says he’ll take the American cheese sandwich, his girlfriend says to make that two roast beef and an American cheese sandwich, and so on.

No comments:

Post a Comment