Monday 16 November 2015

Unfriending


           

            When I logged onto Facebook late Sunday morning I noticed that I’d lost a friend overnight. I suspected right away that it was Heather Babcock that had unfriended me because I had written a comment the night before in response to a post she had made on November eleventh that Remembrance Day is not a glorification of war but rather a way of honouring those who had fought in the wars that the leaders had made. I argued that as long as there is no equal day to commemorate the civilian victims of war then Remembrance Day is indeed a glorification of war. Deciding to no longer be friends with me was an interesting response to a philosophical difference. It’s not a choice I would have made but it made me think that I wish I could wake up and find that my apartment had cleaned itself of things I don’t need in the same way that Facebook does.
            On Sunday I had a choice between doing laundry and buying underwear because if I didn’t do one or the other I wouldn’t have briefs to wear on Monday. Since I didn’t want to take up a lot of essay writing time, I rode up Brock Avenue to the back of Walmart. I always go in that way because there’s a place to lock my bike near the door and it’s a less busy entrance. The first thing I saw when I walked into the mall was a fake snow covered Christmas tree that had been put up way too early. I guess it’s supposed to remind shoppers to do their Christmas shopping early but I would rather not see Yule decorations for another month.
            I noticed on the outside of Walmart there is a lawyer’s ad offering personal wills for $99.99. I have no idea how much wills usually cost, but that sounds cheap. I spent $18.05 on six pairs of Hanes. I timed my trip to and from the mall. It would have taken at least ninety minutes to do my laundry and so I saved fourty minutes and got some underwear.
            I continued to work on my essay. I think I’m making progress. I’ve got six pages of the required seven and I’m hoping that I’ll have a first draft to take to my professor on Wednesday to get some feedback. I still have just over a week before it needs to be handed in.
            I watched the first episode of the first season of Cheyenne. To see a bad premier like this really does show just how good Bonanza was. Clint Walker played a scout raised by Natives. He travels with a mapmaker from Texas named Johnny as they ride around making geographic sense of the west. The Shoshone are on the warpath and attack a stagecoach. Cheyenne and Johnny help some white guys fight the Natives off but the white guys turn out to have been planning on robbing the stage themselves. Cheyenne has to help the bandits, as they are holed up on some rocks while the Shoshone attack. It wasn’t much of a plot, and Clint Walker, though a good-looking giant, showed no emotion through the whole story. I’ve downloaded the whole first season, but if the next two episodes are as bad as this one I’ll delete the file and move on to something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment