Tuesday 29 March 2016

Carol Burnett

           


            On Monday I rode through the rain to do my laundry.
            In the afternoon I did my taxes online. They make it so simple now that it’s a little worrisome. Last year I got $376 back and this year my refund will only be about $86. I wonder if I missed something. I think I did have more income in 2014 so I must have paid more taxes. Maybe that explains it. I didn’t see an option for the low income tax benefit. It’s a little more confusing now that the Ontario tax return is not included with the Canada tax return.
            Just before making dinner I realized that I’d forgotten that my kitchen lights had burnt out. I made it to the Dollarama just before closing. My purchase of the same brand of four bulbs as last time was an improvement because only one of them was a dud this time.
            I watched the last of the Father Knows Best shows that I’d downloaded. In this one Jim got frustrated with the insurance business and decided to buy a farm. His wife knew he’d never go through with it but pretended she was alright with it.

            Then I watched an instalment of the Garry Moore Show from 1960. I remember Garry Moore, but it must have been from the game shows he hosted. He smoked on stage. The guests were new artists Bob Newhart and Robert Goulet. Newhart’s style was considered groundbreaking at the time. He’d just walked away with the top three Grammy awards that year. I never considered him to be more than a bit amusing. Robert Goulet was sort of the Michael Bublé of his day. I remember him on a CBC music show before he became famous. Other guests were Julie London, whose singing I didn’t think was that outstanding. This was a show on which Carol Burnett was a regular guest and she went directly to having her own show when the Garry Moore show ended. She was in a skit with another guy where they played a couple who’d just brought their new baby home and they keep getting woken up by its crying. The funniest line came when the baby stopped crying and they were suddenly worried as to why he might have stopped crying. Carol said, “Maybe he swallowed his blanket!” and her husband said, “Well if he swallowed his blanket he’ll be cold!”

No comments:

Post a Comment