Tuesday 22 March 2016

The Girl From Ipanema

            

            On Sunday I spent most of the day continuing to work on my two essays. That night I finally got an email from Andrew Lesk, telling me that my second thesis revision was clear and understandable. Of course, he didn’t tell me it was good, but I don’t think he would have. The day before that I’d had a dream about the essay, except that it involved me trying to write new lyrics for the song “Girl from Ipanema”. On Sunday I had another dream that didn’t seem to have anything to do with the paper, though I knew it did. In the dream I was with a woman who I think was Naama, my classmate in Continental Philosophy. We were investigating some kind of research facility. She was sitting in the car while I went up to a glass booth to con the guy in the white coat behind it to give us a tour. I flashed him my University of Toronto student card then told him that I was with the health department and needed to have a look around. He was just putting on his nametag when I woke up.
By the end of the day I had a day and a half left to finish the English essay and five days before the Philosophy paper was due.
The Plastiscene Reading Series was that night, but I couldn’t spare the time away from working on my two essays.

I watched an Ernie Kovacs TV special from the 1950s featuring his silent character, Eugene. It wasn’t hilariously funny but it was often clever and original.

No comments:

Post a Comment