Tuesday 14 March 2017

Highland Lassie



            On Monday I got up feeling extra groggy again, but it went away during yoga.
I finished writing my first two haibun. I followed for the most part the fashion of Fred Wah, whose work we covered in the fall. For the prose parts he uses a kind of focused stream of consciousness writing technique and so I did that as well. But Wah puts his prose in the past tense while haibun is supposed to be in the present. I deviated from his style and took everything that I’d written about the past, even of different periods, and put it all in the present.
            Here’s what I came up with:

One-Handed-Rolly Haibun

You roll a perfect cigarette with one hand while steering the tractor with the other from harrow to harvest always Vogue papers and Macdonald’s Export tobacco with the Highland Lassie on the package who I think looks like my mother, I have to admit that the rollies you make from that pouch are less unpleasant than the stinking Rothmans tailor-mades that Mom smokes, leaning your bad back forward tired and thoughtful in the chair at your end of the kitchen table in the corner by the toaster beneath the old brown radio news with your elbows on your knees and your suspenders relaxing by your hips you take slow, contemplative drags from your after dinner cigarette, always holding it between the tips of index and thumb, but never between fingers like a lady, my sister and I don’t want you and Mom to smoke, you take our complaints with grumpy calm until one day you stop, and we don’t dare to say anything out of fear that we are yelled at or that speaking puts a jinx on our good fortune, weeks later you climb on Mom’s back to stop her from smoking and stay there until she dies.

rolling a smoke with one hand
wind blows back to tractor
cool mist of DDT

Tailor-Made Chain Haibun

Those stinking Rothmans sticks you smoke that smell like tobacco blended with sugar and sewage turn my stomach and so does their memory long after you die of breast cancer when I’m a teenager, you smoke even after your mastectomy, you smoke everywhere with everyone and have lots of friends but it must be tough for you when dad kicks the habit, smoking in the smoky teachers lounge with your colleagues, you smoke with my brother, with your next oldest brothers, your cousins and my father’s youngest sisters, smoke, smoke, smoke, smoke, smoke, smoke, smoke, smoke, smoke, smoke, smoke, smoke, smoke, smoke, smoke, smoke, smoke, smoke, the fowl smell of cigarette corpses in the house and car ashtrays, and after dinner plates full of butts, do you start smoking with dad or do you start with the other girls in boarding school, nobody complains but my dad, my sister and me.

sighing neath her beehive
she crushes the lipstick filter
into unfinished eggs

            I tried writing a poem in a style that I saw Susan Musgrave use in which the ends of most lines could be the ends of sentences but continue on in the next line. I applied the technique to an old piece of prose that I wrote about my ex-girlfriend sixteen years ago. It definitely turned it into a poem:

My efforts to understand her helped me gain
confidence as a lover, which is a strength
that comes from knowledge of another person’s need
to live a different pace, but maybe that’s fear
of rejection and of growing forceful at being
tactful at the expense of being true
to my own vision, which had to be altered
in order to see her point of view and to find courage
to add my voice to her perception,
which quite often took the form of an apology
for trying to defeat her, which was her victory
over her attraction to me, because she could
not be interested in men that she could push
away without them standing up to the test and fighting
to keep the lines of communication alive
by listening better, since she had a hard time
embracing any other viewpoint
than her own. So I grew
abler at listening and struggling
against the urge to blindly argue
but that only seemed to make her battle
more to hurl her anger and disappointment
over all the ways that I was falling
short in terms of application
which she told me was pushing her
away from our collaboration
in romance because she didn’t think
it was possible for us to be
partners, which broke my assurance a bit
more, so I don’t know if I gained
strength that’s hidden beneath the rubble
of us or not.

I learned a lot more about the female
body and how to be creative
in response to relationships than any
other, which frequently required a stretch
of courage and perception: Becoming
stronger at giving in to her weakness.

No comments:

Post a Comment