Friday 31 March 2017

Your Absence Forms a Shape in the Air



            During song practice on Thursday morning my denture didn’t feel as loose, though I made sure by pushing it into place after every song. I felt pretty strong while singing even though I was weak when I got up. This was the last day of my fourteen-day fast.
            In the afternoon I took a siesta and though I hardly fell asleep at all it was enough time to dream that I was working for this young plain-clothes executive type who was pretty casual. We were driving to his place in his white van to do the job he wanted help with. Driving through the alley he saw his wife just coming home from shopping. She was lifting a load up the back of their home with an open elevator with an undisclosed mechanism and so the lift looked basically like just a platform. She had a wagon with a large green bag in it and he waved to her and she waved back but turned away and then he saw the wagon starting to roll off the platform when she was already almost up to the second floor so he shouted to her and she grabbed it just in time. I looked heavy and I thought that it might pull her over the edge but she managed with a lot of effort to pull it back. She was a redhead with short hair and neither slim nor large just slightly larger boned than average. She was wearing a red top and a green skirt but more dark tones of those colours. He seemed to own a large section of the block because we started working on another property a few doors away. I was on a lower balcony and he was standing in the alley. He wanted me to fill up a canister with water. The green hose was hooked in a curve along a wall behind me but the container was over the railing towards him. I climbed over the railing to get the yellow plastic container with the spout and we had a conversation about me climbing over things rather than walking around them. We were next inside of a large empty room where we were about to work and he commented without complaint about how casual we were being in our professional relationship when I’m really supposed to call him “mister”. I was about to respond when I woke up. I spent less than an hour in bed.
                I finished my last poem for the final project in my Canadian Poetry course. This one was inspired by Susan Musgrave’s style. She usually has a strong image in every line so I tried to spice it up as mush as I was able within the short time I have left until the deadline:

In those times when your absence forms
a shape in the air in front of me
that I could almost throw my arms around
and embrace instead of you, I wish you were here.
I seem to know exactly what
to do with that ephemeral matrix -
my molten imagination
is poured into its mould – with no mysteries
to confuse me. But I wish you were here
even without being food or sweet
suffocation. Even when sitting near
I want you here instead. I like the way you laugh
at my jokes and I like the way you speak
your thoughts. I wish I could hold you all night long
and talk with you but then I would start
going down on you as my daughter
suddenly began shouting at the window
for me to come down and open
the door and then I’d groan oh no
as I got up to put my pants on
and then you’d comment how
we were stupid to bother to try
to make love since we knew she’d arrive
soon. Then I’d let my daughter in and you’d
stay for a polite few minutes

before going home. You would worry me
with your sullen mood the next day on the phone
repeating what a waste of time
trying to have sex had been and then you’d leave
for Calgary and so I wouldn’t see you again
for a week. When you returned your mood would be back
to normal and we’d talk and laugh until you realized
that you were late and you’d say goodbye.

Starting that week I’d agree to set aside
more time for repairing us. I’d call
you every night instead of watching Northern
Exposure and I wouldn’t threaten to go
when I’m at your place and you’re mad and you want to sleep
apart from me. I wouldn’t bring up
those things that don’t fit in your listening. I would
agree not to drink so much that it interrupted
the flow between us. I would look you straight in the eyes
and refrain from hording my heart in the distance
where I either sulk or embrace daydreams instead of you.

Then you would agree to shut down
the distances you practice and call me
more often. You would stop aborting
and amputating our ends
of the week by driving me
home when we’ve hit a roadblock
or instead of returning me
to sender, going to sleep
in your bed alone, or you’d threaten to break up.

I don’t like it when you torture me
by saying that I hurt you on purpose,
when you claim that you know me better
than I know myself and so you understand
my motives and you will teach me
how wrong I am if I will only listen
when you tell me that we’ll never live
together. I hate it when you tell me to grow up
when I’m crying from something you’ve said.
I feel run down when you give me a cold
vagina. I think that it’s vicious for you
to say that I’m evil, to say that you aren’t
confident in me. When you don’t come
on to me it makes me feel unloved. Your anger
feels a lot like my father, your complaints
about my clothing and my housekeeping mess
up the calm of our romance. When you berate
me by declaring that I’m not perceptive, it grates
on my cool. But I do tend to crash-land on a heavenly body
that is flighty, incontinent, inhumane, self
serving, adversarial and boiling,
who floods me with frustration because she does not

fathom that I mean no damage with my irons
in the fire. I hunger for you
to always come on strong, ungoverned but downright
neighbourly so that I can have armistice of mind. When I do not
have these desiderata I get the picture
that my I has been blackened so I boomerang by eating
my heart out, getting in your face, shooting off my mouth and tuning
into my nethermost worry, which is that, I am good
for nothing and left out in the cold.


No comments:

Post a Comment