Sunday 26 March 2017

The Lotus Hotel



            Saturday was my first almost normal morning of playing guitar in a week. My thumb only felt a little tender a ways into practice.
            I finished my poem, “May Basket” using the focused stream of consciousness technique of freefall:

Growing up in rural New Brunswick was like being exiled from my dreams in a low security prison for which the warden was boredom. But within its walls made of distance, age and frozen progress, no one followed me around and I had the sweet freedom of benevolent neglect. Looking back on how I was allowed to wander by myself when very young into the cedar forest seems like I once had the ability to fly. I caught bright, beautiful sunfish in the little quicksand lake behind my friend’s house. I lay on my back on a truckload of hay while watching meteorites fall. I saw the northern lights shimmering icy pink and humming like a transformer in the sky. I remember the snow: how deep the powder was when its crust broke beneath my feet. It delighted me when fresh, but I was impatient for its death every spring. How culturally starved our little low-hilled, wooded humdrum pocket of nowhere seemed. But there were little traditions that shone through, like the now forgotten ritual in May of mothers making bright coloured baskets out of tissue for boys and girls to hang on the doorways of other boys and girls which signaled one to come out and chase the other for a kiss. 

            For the first time in about three years I remembered to shut my lights off for Earth Day. I lit candles in all my rooms and it was nice and not hard to live with for an hour. When I looked out my window though I saw that a lot of people had their lights on.

            I started working on a longer piece inspired by Susan Musgrave, called “Lotus Hotel”, and telling a story of something that happened in Vancouver in the late 70s, and I think it’s done for now:

I know that I didn’t personally break her
neck, but sometimes I wonder if I should
have let her in that night
because it might have saved her
from an unfortunate fate.
She had the room next to mine in the Lotus
Hotel, where we had a view
of the back airshaft
and of all of the other lucky windows
that looked out upon the rear
of the building, and down to the concrete
bottom, which showed the viewer
all of the things that were thrown or had fallen
out and down from all of the floors
like the top one where we lived
on different sides of one corner
of the lightwell, and divided
by the men’s washroom, which had a window
on my edge, so when I looked
outside, the closest thing I saw was her porthole,
which was always open,
even on cold days. But I had not seen her yet

and didn’t know that my neighbour was a woman
till once when I was reading
by my open window and I heard her
laughing next door. I glanced
across and noticed that someone was throwing
a party and I caught her
face and saw that she was the loudest
of them all, but then I ignored that and returned
to my book. Suddenly though a beer stubby flew
in through my window. I picked it up and heaved
it back in theirs and resettled
in my pages, only to have
the bottle bonk me
on the noggin this time. I shouted out
“You hit me in the head!” She looked out
at me and then went away. Everything was quiet

until abruptly there was a knock
on my door and it was her coming to apologize
to me for being so deathly
rude as to toss her empty
into my fenestra so as to strike me full
against my skull. She asked if she could come in
to my chamber and I
said yes. She sat down on my bed
and then we started to shoot
the breeze about my life and hers. When she got
more comfortable she stretched
out and looked at me
in a very friendly way as she told me
that she’d inherited
her own boat and that I was invited
to come out and sail with her

sometime. She was Haida and I did find her
attractive, though she was twenty
years older than me. We talked
for a while and then she went back
to drink some more.

I was in bed
when she knocked on my door again the next
night and asked if she could come
in. But I had to work in the morning and told her
I needed to get
some rest, so she went away.

I was pulled from sleep
an hour or so later by the sound of cops
in the hall. I went out
and learned that my new friend had locked her
key in her room and gone
into the men’s washroom to try to climb out
of the window in order to get in
but she’d been drinking and so she fell
head first to the bottom of the lightwell and broke
her neck when she hit the concrete.

I never saw her again but I wonder
if something could have happened between
us if I’d let her into my room that night instead
of turning in bed away from her,
falling asleep while facing the window that she reached
for drunkenly but failed to grab
and then tumbled to death.

No comments:

Post a Comment