Monday, 3 August 2026

Percy Hynes White


            This is the beginning of the 14th year of my journal. 
            On Wednesday morning the two-sided carpet tape that I’d put around the edge of my futon apparently did some good. It caught a few bedbugs but mostly seems to have deterred a lot of them from climbing up to me because I didn’t feel any on me and slept a little better for the first night in a while. 
            I searched for the next Boris Vian song to learn and found the lyrics for his “L'epoque légendaire” but no audio. It’s from the musical he wrote called La bande à Bonnot for which I could buy the audio but I’m not going to do that. I assume down the road someone who has the audio will upload it. The lyrics are posted online and I’ve got those, so I’ll translate those while I’m waiting for the audio. The next Vian song on my list is “Jules Bonnot c'était pas n'importe qui” (Jules Bonnot Was Not Just Anybody), which is from the same musical and the audio for that is posted online. 
            I finished memorizing “Shylock” by Serge Gainsbourg. Tomorrow I’ll finish translating it and start working out the chords. 
            I weighed 89.95 kilos before breakfast. 
            I played my Gibson Les Paul Studio during song practice for the first of two sessions and it stayed in tune most of the time. 
            Around midday I went to the Dynacare Labs at Christie and Bloor to get my blood tests done. I’d gotten the requisition from my doctor back in early May but never got around to going until today because I’d been focusing on painting my bathroom. They took two samples of my blood and I barely felt the needle. I also filled a urine sample container and then they surprised me by giving me a heart test. I didn’t even know that was on the requisition. I’d never had a heart test before and had expected to be on a treadmill with electrodes on my chest. I had the electrodes but while lying down. She also put electrodes on my legs and arms. 
            Note: The above happened on Tuesday and it was today that I went to buy the vacuum cleaner. 
            I weighed 91.1 kilos at 15:25. I had peanut butter and five-year-old cheddar on saltines with a glass of lemonade. 
            I took a siesta and got up too late for a bike ride. 
            I weighed 91.3 kilos at 18:10. 
            I was still several days behind in my journal and worked on catching up.
            I made pizza on a slice of Rudolph’s sandwich bread with rosée tomato sauce, tomato pesto, wedge oven fries, and five-year-old cheddar. I had it with a beer while watching the first season finale of Wednesday on Discord with my daughter Astrid. 
            The story begins with Wednesday inviting Tyler to the woods and confronting him about being the Hyde monster which she found out in a vision when she kissed him. She doesn’t feel in danger being alone in the woods with him because she knows he is attracted to her. But she also didn’t come alone as Bianca and some others step out. Bianca takes control of him with her Siren powers and he wakes up chained to a chair in Xavier’s forest studio. Wednesday has uncovered that Tyler’s mother was a Hyde and that his father the sheriff has been covering it up. Wednesday wants to begin torturing Tyler for information. The others don’t want any part of that and so they leave and report to Principal Weems, who calls the sheriff. The sheriff arrives and arrests Wednesday but for some reason he lets her go. Before she leaves the police station Tyler speaks to her privately and confesses to being the Hyde and liking it. Weems expels Wednesday but she asks to be able to visit Eugene in the hospital before she leaves. They find that Eugene has awakened from his coma and when he describes the figure she saw at the monster’s cave before it attacked him as having red boots. This fits the description of Ms. Thornhill, the only Normy teaching at Nevermore. Wednesday confronts Thornhill and she denies everything until Wednesday calls in Tyler who she says told her everything. Thornhill orders Tyler to kill Wednesday but it’s really Principal Weems shape-shifting. Thornhill admits she is Laurel Gates and that she manipulated Tyler into killing her victims as body parts towards the resurrection of Joseph Crackstone so he can wipe out all the Outcasts. Thornhill grabs a knife and stabs Weems in the jugular, killing her. Wednesday is knocked out with a shovel and she wakes up in chains. Gates uses Wednesday’s blood to resurrect Crackstone in the assembled body parts. She stabs Wednesday before leaving with Crackstone and she is dying. But the ghost of Goody Addams appears and tells her she is going to heal her by passing into her body, then she will never see her again. Learning that Wednesday is in danger, Enid finally transforms into a white werewolf and fights Tyler. She almost loses but eventually wins. With Bianca’s help, Wednesday kills Crackstone. We finally learn what Eugene’s power is as he controls his bees to swarm and defeat Thornhill. Xavier is released from jail and reconciles with Wednesday. Tyler is institutionalized in a high security hospital. Nevermore closes for the rest of the semester and Wednesday finishes her novel and goes home. 
            Xavier was played by Canadian actor Percy Hynes White, who mad his acting debut at the age of 2 in short films such as Moera: Fact or Fantasy? in his hometown of St. John’s, Newfoundland. He made his feature film debut at the age of 7 in the 2008 Canadian film Down to the Dirt, which was based on his father Joel Thomas Hynes’ first novel. At age 9 he played the lead role in the short film Forty-Five and Five and then in the short films Winners and Little Man. He studied with The Performing Arts Group in St. Johns. He made his television debut in 2013 on The Slattery Street Crockers. His starring performance in Cast No Shadow earned him the Best Actor Award at the 2014 Atlantic Film Festival and the Rising Star Award at the 2014 Edmonton Film Festival. His first Hollywood film appearance was in Night At the Museum: Secret of the Tomb. His performance in I Like Movies in 1922 earned him a Best Supporting Actor award from the Vancouver Film Critics Circle. He co-starred in My Old Ass, Edge of Winter, Our House, Winter Spring Summer or Fall, and Whistle. He co-starred in the X-Men spin-off TV series The Gifted, the Canadian science fiction series Between, the Canadian police series Pretty Hard Cases, and Murdoch Mysteries.





No comments:

Post a Comment