Sunday 20 September 2015

Tuition Confusion


           

            On Saturday I discovered that the grant money for this fall’s course had already been paid and what was left over was deposited in my account. The problem is though that only one course has been paid for and that which was deposited is only half the refund I normally get. A letter I received on Friday said that my “application will be reviewed again in January” to determine my eligibility for a 2016 grant. I suspect that they did it this way because, unlike all the previous years, I’ve only enrolled in one half course in the fall. Since the grant is meant to pay for a full course equivalent, I guess they just automatically split the award. That makes it very inconvenient for me because I’m used to paying for all my fall and winter courses right away. The refund I receive is enough to pay for an extra half course, but since I’ve only received half, I’ll have to keep it in my account until January. I’m assuming here that all I have to do to qualify for the other half of the grant is to pass Children’s Literature but it is going to be uncomfortable to have the fees hanging over my head this time around. I’m going to go to the admissions office on Tuesday to try to get an explanation and to find out how sure I can be that I’ll be getting the other half.
            I’ll also need to get an explanation for why my student account has a balance owing of almost $7,000. As far as I can tell that amount is a flat fee that is automatically charged to every student’s account at the beginning of the term and then it, hopefully, disappears when the system gets the information that the student isn’t taking a full course load.
            Since it rained in the late afternoon I didn’t take a bike ride that evening, even though it had stopped by then. I figured there might be lots of puddles to ride through and it also might start raining again, so I stayed in.
            That night I watched an episode of Bonanza that started with the lynching of someone suspected to be a cattle thief by a group of masked ranchers. The wife of the victim was shot in the back as she tried to run for help. Hoss, on the way home from courting a girl named Cameo, discovered the bodies after seeing several unmasked men riding away from the property. Among the men, he recognized his friend, Jim, who was also sweet on Cameo. Jim was later arrested on suspicion of murder, but Hoss was reluctant to give the evidence that he’d seen Jim near the scene of the crime because he didn’t want to incriminate his friend if he was innocent. This was all further complicated by the fact that cameo was certain Jim was innocent and Hoss didn’t want to make it appear that he was just trying to get Jim out of the way so he could be with Cameo.
            The brother of the lynched man organized a lynch mob of his own made up of farmers who were fed up with being bullied by ranchers. Jim escaped from jail and ran off with Cameo but the lynch mob caught up with him and took him to the same tree from which their leader’s brother had been hung. They allowed Cameo to go for help because they knew she wouldn’t be able to get the sheriff in time. She ran to Hoss and begged him to save Jim. He agreed to go there and found Jim on a horse with a rope around his neck. The men were about to make the horse run out from under Jim when Hoss arrived. He forced the lynch mob away from the horse at gunpoint and was standing beside it, about to cut Jim free when the lynch mob’s leader gave the horse a verbal signal that caused it to run. Hoss jumped in to catch Jim’s fall, but he was trapped. All he could do was hold onto him and keep his weight from causing the rope to tighten around his neck.
            The lynch mob rushed in to try to get Hoss away from Jim, so he had to fight them off and hold Jim up at the same time. Hoss was shot in the arm, but still refused to let Jim go. He was told to let him go or die. Finally, Jim kicks Hoss away from him to keep his friend from being killed.
            It seems that the most interesting episodes of Bonanza were directed by Robert Altman.

No comments:

Post a Comment