Saturday 5 September 2015

What Does It Really Mean That We Have So Many Words For Gay And So Few For Straight?



      
      
       It was very humid on Thursday morning and I was sweating like crazy while I did my yoga. When I was playing guitar it was strange that it stayed in tune better than usual. It seems that my guitar likes a certain steady high level of humidity but goes out of whack over or above it. I wonder if that has anything to do with it being made in Indonesia.
       It was one of those days that I really didn’t want to take a bike ride and was hoping for rain. It didn’t look like rain at all though when I started out but as I was climbing Dufferin to St Clair there was a shroud of black approaching from the west that I was certain was carrying rain. I was pretty sure that I was going to get caught in a shower but it didn’t happen. I explored the streets that run north off St Clair between Yonge and Inglewood.
       I stopped to pee at Jesters and in the washroom there was a heart drawn on the wall under which was the word “poof”. It made me think how many words there are for homosexual and how few there are for heterosexual. It has been claimed that the Inuit have fifty words for snow because obviously snow is important to them. Apparently this is a myth because it could actually be claimed that English has just as many words for snow if we think of English in terms of root words and how they are combined to make “snow storm”, “snow drift”, etcetera. But we actually have many distinctive names for Gay and very few for straight. All that comes to my mind are the words “het” and “breeder”. If that implies the importance of something then it would suggest that our society must unconsciously place great importance on homosexuality in order to have so many words for it.
       The ride down Yonge wasn’t as much fun as the last time because the lights interrupted my free descent.
       The superintendent came to tell me that the scheduled bedbug treatment that was supposed to happen on Friday has been cancelled. Apparently, even though I’d told my landlord that I wanted Orkin to come, he had hired the other guy anyway and he cancelled because he decided to take a trip to the States. Raja called Orkin, but they can’t come till Tuesday, so that means that even though I called Raja specifically12 days after the last spraying so that I could get a treatment at the proper time of two weeks since the last one, now it will have been a month between treatments. I can’t catch a break. I wish the landlord would just get a contract with an exterminator who I can call myself. Then I would do it every two weeks till they were gone. He just doesn’t seem to realize that one month allows them to rebuild their population so that the previous treatments are rendered useless.

No comments:

Post a Comment