Saturday 13 February 2016

Dead Pidge On My Ledge

           


            I woke up around 4:00 but played it safe and stayed in bed till 4:30. I did my yoga, made coffee and then began to tackle the Short Story take home test. If one counts my efforts the night before, I spent six hours writing a test that was designed to be finished in-class in two hours. The thing is, I would have spent longer on it if there hadn’t been a noon deadline for handing it in. It’s actually quite amazing what good essays one can write within a two-hour limit or less. It’s just a different mindset though when there is no one there to take one’s paper away when the time has run out. I had to skip going to Sean’s tutorial so I could work on the test. It’s the first time I’ve ever missed a tutorial for any course. I could very well miss it again though in a month or so when we have our second and final take-home test unless I can coordinate a proper nap before I begin writing.
            Thanks to my student, Anna’s diligent promotion among her friends, I had four people come to my yoga class that afternoon. It’s not a record but it’s the first time I’ve gotten that many in a couple of years.
            A male pigeon came to court the dead pigeon that was frozen on my window ledge. He lingered for a while, seeming confused by her lack of response. I’m hoping a wind will come along and blow her off soon, as she’s right on the edge.
            About a week ago I had a conversation online with Nick Cushing about the cockroach problem. I told him that whenever I change the garbage bag about a hundred of the little buggers drop to the floor and stampede to shelter underneath the radiator near the fridge. He said that he doesn’t put any food scraps in his garbage at all but rather keeps a plastic bag in the freezer for that kind of garbage and then when it’s full he tosses it out separately. He also rinses all food non-reusable food containers. I thought that this made sense and so I tried it. Friday night before bedtime was the first test and when I lifted the garbage bag I didn’t see a single roach in that area.

            I think that credit should be given where credit is due. So thanks to me for being smart enough to follow Nick’s good example. I’m amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment