Wednesday 3 February 2016

It Probably Means Something Nice

           


            My cold made me pretty groggy during song practice on Tuesday morning, but I made it through and I was actually pretty good in moments.
Over the years that I’ve been practicing every morning, at the same time I look out of my second story window onto Queen Street, and it’s hard to have not become aware of the early morning habits of some of the people passing by.
            On Tuesday morning my windows were wide open because of the strange warm weather we’ve had during this first third of the winter. Maybe it was the faux spring temperature or maybe it was coincidence, but a couple of people I’ve been watching for years do exactly the same things suddenly changed their behaviours that morning.
A nearly elderly woman with short, dyed red hair, who obviously still works, walks up the west side of Dunn Avenue at the same time every weekday morning. For the first time though, she walked up the east side of Dunn and crossed Queen Street under my window, I assume to go into the Coffee Time.
For the last few years, a young man with dreadlocks has parked his old red economy car every weekday morning beside the Dollarama, and jogged across Queen Street to the donut shop beneath me. Five minutes later, he always comes back out with a coffee and a little paper take-out bag, runs back to his car and makes a very fast left turn and guns it west along Queen. In all those many times that I’ve seen him crossing for his coffee, never once has he looked up at my window, no matter how loud I’ve been playing or singing. This time though he actually steered his jaywalk halfway across so he was not only looking up at me, but he smiled at me, raised his arm and gave me that two fingers in the middle down, two fingers up hand gesture that seems to mean something positive. I smiled back and nodded.
            Riding my bike to Continental Philosophy class cleared my head until the ride was over.
            Naomi came in and asked me how the nerd life was and then commented about how we are both always early. I suggested that my tendency to be early may go back to my mother being a schoolteacher and me getting an early ride to school with her. When I think about it now though, maybe that doesn’t explain it since that was only between when I was twelve and seventeen, which are hardly formative years. Naomi said that she just likes to feel on top of things and so that’s why she gives herself an extra fifteen minutes. I told her I’m the same way. She said though that since she started at U of T she has been late. I didn’t say anything, but I’ve only been late a couple of times on days when an essay was due.
            Professor Gibbs informed us that he’d posted our essay topics online. He told us that the word “topic” is Greek for “place” and urged us in planning our papers to figure out how we are going to occupy that space.
            Continuing with Soren Kierkegaard’s “Philosophical Fragments”, he said that every chapter of the book ends with an uncertainty, an argument by which we can’t know what we are trying to think about. It’s like an undertow that pulls away every sandcastle he’d built.
            Of the paradox of the absolutely different, he said, “Think about it and go nuts!” If I can think about something it is like me. If I know something that is absolutely different then I must be absolutely different myself. If what is absolutely different becomes totally available then something I can’t think becomes something I can. The divine becomes human and we are lost. I cannot change. The absolutely different must initiate change in me.
            Philosophers need paradox, but is the absolute paradox thinkable? No.
            Is this different from Plato talking from the viewpoint of Socrates?
            Philosophers used to think that anything could be thought about.
            Climacus says that even if god comes we won’t be able to understand. Christianity becomes not understandable. Kierkegaard becomes the patron saint of modern theology.
            Professor Gibbs then took time to answer some of our questions.
I asked if the absolutely different could be something other than god. He said that something like the ocean is absolutely different from us but Climacus would say it’s not enough. He warned me that the answer wouldn’t be very satisfying and he was right. I was thinking more of the absolutely different within each of us and which would be there whether god existed or not.
Somebody else asked how can god be absolutely different if we were created in god’s image. I don’t recall the answer to that question.
God in the flesh can’t show everyone he’s god because he is Clark Kent all the time.
            Seeing is not believing. Faith is belief in things that aren’t seen. Empirical evidence is distracting.  But if god in the flesh doesn’t worry, is it really human? Meeting god in the flesh is the beginning of eternity. God in the flesh doesn’t have to be Jesus. Salvation is more than a historical event, but rather eternal.
            One cannot understand the absolute paradox but one can understand that there is a paradox.
            Kierkegaard was Danish. The Danes were Lutheran. Luther thought a lot about faith. Kierkegaard says that knowing the teaching is not enough.
            Many felt the need to report on the death of Socrates, but Plato, his real student didn’t feel the need to be there. Socrates was only an occasion and his death was not important.
            The historical moment gains eternal weight. The eternal becomes historical.
Faith is not a form of knowledge. Knowing is an act of will but faith is not because for faith one needs the condition from god. Faith is paradoxical.
To be contemporary with god one has to not be bound to the historical moment. The eternal moment blows apart the structure of time. But if god doesn’t give one the moment it can’t be perceived.
One advantage to being a contemporary with god in the flesh is that there would have been less gossip at the time.
After class I had time to go home long enough to get an hour and fifteen minutes of sleep before heading back downtown for my Short Story class. This week we were covering some of the stories of Katherine Mansfield. Both her and James Joyce wrote of the multiple, the fragmented and discontinuous self that became emblematic of modern literature. People were not writing like this up until then. Ambiguity was directly courted. She had amazing control. Her main characters have their world destroyed by a dark vision that is noticed but not acted upon. There is a subtle shift in narrative voice at some point in the story that we are used to now.
The first story was “Bliss”. The message may be that ignorance is bliss. Bliss is certainly being mocked.
“This body” refers to the constraints of having a female body.
There is a whiff of lesbianism in the story. Pearl is perhaps the cause of the bliss Bertha is feeling.
The colours of the fruit decorating the table are echoed by the colours of the clothing being worn by Bertha and Pearl. The pear tree is silver like Pearl’s clothing. She has “moonbeam fingers”.
The baby is subtly shown that it is not Bertha’s baby. The white dress suggests that Bertha is a virgin.
The grey cat that Bertha sees in the garden represents Pearl and the black cat represents Eddy. The pear tree is symbolic of Bertha’s life.
“Why doth the bridegroom tarry?” is an ironic reference to Matthew 25:5: “While the bridegroom tarried, they all slumbered and slept.” This is the parable of the ten virgins.
To say that the guests are a “trifle too unaware” is to mean that they are very much aware.
The phrase “pear tree” is repeated three times, indicating a love triangle.
The second half of the class was taken up with a study of “Something Childish But Very Natural”. It begins with a poem of the same name by Samuel Taylor Coleridge: “If I had but two little wings and were a little feathery bird, to you I'd fly, my dear! But thoughts like these are idle things, and I stay here. But in my sleep to you I fly: I'm always with you in my sleep! The world is all one's own. But then one wakes, and where am I? All, all alone. Sleep stays not, though a monarch bids: So I love to wake ere break of day: For though my sleep be gone, yet while 'tis dark, one shuts one's lids, and still dreams on.”
            Andrew Lesk thinks that Mansfield decided to make a story out of the poem.
            Henry, the dreamer, has no deep knowledge and is not a poet, but on seeing Edna, thinks that his eyes are “like two drunken bees”. Andrew imitated what it would look like if your yes were like two drunken bees to illustrate what a silly line it is.
            The train going through the tunnel is portentous.
            Henry and Edna, in a little cottage in a little village are playing at being adults like children with a dollhouse.
            The story, like most Mansfield stories, ends in stasis.
            I thought that the whole story, after Henry’s first meeting with Edna, was Henry’s dream. At the end of class, Andrew gave me his argument as to why he thinks it’s merely made to be dreamlike.
            We were also discussing his Graphic Novel course, which I took four years ago. I told him that I was taking Digital Text at the same tie and he was curious about the course. I told him that there was a graphic novel in the course, published online, on which I wrote my essay, in conversation with Marshall McCluhan’s “Understanding Media”, but at that moment I couldn’t remember the name of the graphic novel. He said to let him know and we parted. I remembered that it was “Body World” a minute later, but couldn’t recall the author, even though I’d exchanged emails with the guy four years ago. When I got home I dug up my essay and saw that it was Dash Shaw. His “Body World” is definitely one of the best graphic novels I’ve ever read.
            I watched a couple of episodes of Dennis the Menace. Dennis was explaining to his mother that his friend Joey, who doesn’t speak, is a deep thinker. He told Joey to show her how he thinks and so Joey shut his eyes really tight and scrunched up his face. Joey was played by Gil Smith, who went on to become a successful commercial photographer.
            Also playing another of Dennis’s friends was a young Ronnie Howard, just before he became Opie on the Andy Griffith Show.



           
           




           
            

No comments:

Post a Comment