Thursday 25 February 2016

King Crimson

           


            On Monday, Daffodil had been gone for three days. I went out on the roof , looked around and called for her. I didn’t step off the roof of my landlord’s property onto anyone else’s because they get upset, but besides under his deck there would be nowhere for a cat to hide on our roof. There’s a fire escape next door that descends to a back courtyard behind the Cube Chinese restaurant. The previous restaurant owners used the area in the summer to grow herbs for their kitchen. At the other end of the courtyard is a storage shed that has a door that exits to the alley behind our building but of course they keep that locked and so Daffodil couldn’t have gotten to the street that way. As I was looking down into the courtyard, an employee of The Cube was moving something in or out of the shed, and so I called down to him to ask if he’d seen a cat. His response was just to very quickly shake his head. I don’t think he appreciated being suddenly questioned from above.
            Female cats tend to stay very close to their home base, so I really doubt if she would have ventured down to street level. Both females, whenever I’ve put them outside have tended to hide underneath the deck. I think that Daffodil must still be on the roof, but the roof stretches the full length of the block. If I’m right then there are three possibilities. She’s either cowering somewhere hungry and stupid until she recovers the good sense to find her way home; or she’s been taken in by someone else that has access to the roof from the second floor of another property; or maybe she encountered a den of raccoons.

            I’ve been watching a concert film of King Crimson in Japan during their “Three of a Perfect Pair” tour.  It’s interesting to have a visual after hearing the music so many times because when a band has two lead guitarists it’s not always that easy to discern which parts are being played by Robert Fripp and which by Adrian Belew. Robert looks odd compared to the rest of the band because he sits very straight and still while everyone else is moving around. Even the drummer, Bill Bruford is not always sitting. Belew is all over the place, jumping around, dancing, switching instruments and manipulating electronics while Robert smiles at him either out of amusement or satisfaction. I’m not sure why Robert sits when he plays. This concert took place a month or so after I met Robert in West Virginia so I know he had no problem standing. I looked at some old concert photos and so even when he was a young long haired freak he still sat down when he played.

No comments:

Post a Comment