Saturday 21 May 2016

Straw Cowboy: a review of the Yellow Door Open Stage for May 14th

           


            On Saturday I checked the University of Toronto student website and found that my Continental Philosophy mark had been posted. I was satisfied to see that I’d received a B for the course. By my calculations I think that that means I got 66% on the exam and that my ass was saved by going to and participating in all of the tutorials, which were worth 25% of our mark. Since I only missed one tutorial out of ten, I assume that, at most I lost 2.5%, which would give me a quarter of 90% to add to my overall mark. So I’ve earned my one and a half credits for another year. In a month or so I’ll have to start thinking about what courses to enrol in for September.
            That evening I took my guitar to 6 St. Joseph Street and arrived at almost exactly 19:30. The host, my old friend Tom Smarda, was there already there, as were quite a few others. In addition to hosting the Yellow Door open stage once a month at 6 St. Joseph, Tom runs a music workshop there on Monday afternoons, which basically takes the form of a song sharing circle. As I was unpacking my guitar, one of the organizers for the centre came to ask Tom if he would change his workshop to Tuesdays because they wanted to minimize activities at the house on Mondays. Tom told her he’d have to think about it.
            Cad arrived and Tom asked him if he wanted to sign up for the open stage. Cad said that he couldn’t sign anything without his lawyer present and that his lawyer was out of town.
            Cad has been taking classes at the Eckankar Centre in Yorkville. He declared that, thanks to them, he’ll be able to know when he dies that his soul will go to heaven. Cad says that he is more conscious since he’s been going there. Judging from the bigotry he spouts, I haven’t noticed.
            Tom started the open stage just after 20:00. He allotted fifteen minutes to each name on the list, and he took the first slot. He began with a song called “Go Thunder Go”, which he’d written for his young friend Yukon’s hockey team. He said that for the five years that Yukon was on the team, Tom had been a rink rat, cheering them on. During that time he’d written the song- “ … shoot the puck up the ice, score another goal … The scoreboard has another point, we’re really happy here …” Janice, whom I’ve heard read poetry at Shab-e She’r, played lead guitar – “ … this is great, the fans can’t wait for you to take another shot … now the game is over and Thunder has to go. This team has just begun to show their skills and sportsmanship, but mostly to have fun …”
            Tom’s second song was about the exploitation of water – “Petroleum refinery needs the water … with jobs you can buy bottled water … But we’re thirsty … The meat industry needs the water … with jobs you can buy bottled water … Why destroy water …” There were lots of shakers, a set of bongos, a small drum and a tambourine available for people to play along, and lots of people were doing just that. One very slim Mexican guy though, wearing a Mexican straw cowboy hat was the most exuberant and animated participant. Sometimes he went out of control and at odd moments shouted enthusiastic praise for the song being played, but it never threw Tom off. He would just find parts of his song for the guy to participate – “ … un-recycled plastic bottles … When you’re out of water you’re out of luck, having to get it from the back of a pickup truck …”
            Tom’s last song was “Good For The Earth” – “If it’s good for us it’s good for the Earth, and if it’s bad for us then it’s bad for the Earth, if it’s bad for the Earth then it’s bad for us and if it’s good for the Earth then it’s good for us …” The joyful straw-hatted man was playing the tambourine and a shaker at the same time, a woman named Carole played her flute, the guy on the other side of my table blew on his harmonica, while Tom’s girlfriend Judy tapped on the little drum. Some were able to keep time and some weren’t, but the energy was certainly high.
            The next performers were Janice and Carole, who chose to play from their table near the entrance, at the opposite end of the room from the usual performance area where the straw-hatted man sat beaming and flashing the peace sign.
Janice stood with her guitar and sang Gary Bonner and Alan Gordon’s song, “Happy Together”, which had been a big hit for The Turtles in 1967. Carole’s flute playing was pretty good. Tom played the bongos.
Janice and Carole’s second choice was the traditional folk song, “Scarborough Fair”. Janice asked Tom to play along on the guitar, so he offered the bongos to anyone else, but someone protested that there are no drums in Scarborough Fair. I questioned the plausibility that in an entire fair there wouldn’t be at least one drum. Tom added some sonic embroidery while Janice played the rhythm guitar and sang the chorus several times.
Their final song was Leonard Lipton and Peter Yarrow’s “Puff the Magic Dragon”.
After Janice and Carole, Tom introduced me, but I told him that Grant was actually next on the list.
Grant is a weathered, hunched-over poet who sways from side to side when he recites his work. The last time I’d heard him read he had gone by the name of “The Crow”. Grant stood at the back of the room, which usually serves as the stage, but he said he didn’t want anyone behind him while he was performing, so he asked a couple of people, including the guy with the straw hat, to move.
Grant told us that he was going to begin by rolling back to 1976 with “The Inmate’s Last Song” – “I’m lying on a slab of stone … I found a jagged part and I hacked a vein deep in my heart … The inmate died with teardrops in his eyes.”
Then, from three and a half years ago, “The Crow” – “It was four p.m. …On the west side you had your preachers trying to save us all … Along he came, your friend, the Crow … he smoked his salad spliffs … I be the Crow, you see.”
His next poem had been written two months before – “ … the evolution of addiction … I’m jonesing like a mother … so blame the rock.”
Then he sang acapella “Old City Sidewalks, Nickels and Dimes”, the song I’d heard him do last time and which he said was his signature song – “ … I couldn’t find any true peace of mind … from shelter to shelter, from Danforth to Queen …”
Then it was my turn.
I started with “Hang Up A Ham and A Fiddle In Your Window”, which is my translation of Serge Gainsbourg’s “Un Violon, Un Jambon”. I noticed that Tom started to play along but stopped. I wonder if it was because he’s vegan and didn’t want to accompany a song that makes reference to ham in a positive light. Then again, he just might have wanted to listen to the lyrics, as when I sang, “ …don’t worry if you are always discarded, you’ve got lots of reasons to laugh…” at that point Tom said “Ha ha ha!” From the rest of the verse – “ … my friend if you can’t have the only one that you love, love the only one that you have …”
My second song was my own “Paranoiac Utopia” – “A painful shedding of skin today as Parkdale’s paranoiac armour has been circumcised, only later to be reattached with the brain tissue solder of airplane glue …” I screwed up some of the chords but the audience seemed to appreciate it, especially Tom.
My last song was one that Tom used to play when he was in my band more than twenty years ago. I had told him that I’d planned on playing “Instructions for Electroshock Therapy” that night when I’d talked to him a few weeks earlier. Since then he’d messaged me to get a confirmation that I was going to play it because he wanted to bring his electric guitar to back me. Later though he’d messaged me he couldn’t bring the electric after all. Anyway, I played the song with Tom’s accompaniment and it went over well – “ … Undress the patient and then lay them down just like a sacrifice, to avoid any bruises let no metal touch the skin, that’s my advice, now take a razor and shave the hair around the temples, then rub electrode jelly, put some on the electrodes and we’re soon prepared for shock therapy …”
When I sat down, Cad said, “Who needs real shock therapy when you’ve got that song?”
Following me was Glen, who always sings along with his portable CD player, but he didn’t know how to set it up. As Tom tried to help him, Cad told me how impressed he’d been by The Crow. He went to try to talk to him but he had already gone.
Tom couldn’t get Glen’s CD player working. He asked him how he listens to it at home and he said he uses headphones. Finally it was decided that Glen would listen to the song through his headphones while singing it to us. The song was “Hotline Bling” by Drake, Paul Jefferies and Timmy Thomas. Because of Glen’s condition, which I think is a form of Parkinson’s, his voice is wavering and low in volume, and so most of the lyrics he sang were not discernible, other than the phrase, “Call me on my cellphone.”
The last performer before half time was Ernest Hung, who sang and played three covers.
The first was John Prine’s “Dear Abby”, with help from Tom on the harmonica – “ … Bewildered, Bewildered, you have no complaint, you are what you are and you ain what you aint, so listen up buster and listen up good, stop wishing for bad luck and knocking on wood …”
Then he sang Kerry Livgren’s “Dust In the Wind” – “ …  don’t hang on, nothing lasts forever but the earth and sky…”
Ernest’s final cover was Bruce Cockburn’s “Going to the Country” – “ … Farm house, silver roof, flashing by, tractor trailer truck says goodbye with a sigh … get it when I get there is what I’ll do, if I get enough I’ll give some to you …”
There was a fifteen-minute break, during which Cad told me more about his classes at Eckinkar and his newfound spirituality. He said that he went to hear a rabbi speak on reincarnation. I didn’t think that Jews believed in past lives, but Cad claimed that the Kabala talks about reincarnation. I looked it up later, and yes, it is a type of reincarnation, but not one through which the whole consciousnesses of individuals survive in another body. As far as I can tell, the Kabala seems to be saying that a person’s soul could be made from the parts of several previously existing souls.
I questioned the proven existence of a soul or someone’s consciousness surviving this life. Cad said, “You don’t have to have any brains to have a soul.” Despite his straight line being one of the most comically flammable ones I’d ever hear, I didn’t respond. He means anyway that even a rock has a soul.
Cad was talking about homosexuality being an offence in the eyes of “god”. I asked him how he knows that angels don’t come and stick their dicks in his mouth while he’s sleeping. He insisted that angels don’t have dicks. I argued that the archangels are supposed to be male.
Returning to Eckankar, Cad says that he learned that we work out our bad karma in our dreams, such as if one dreams of having a car accident. I expressed the opinion that being able to do that in one’s sleep is very convenient.
After the break, the first performer was Terrel, who played two original songs on the piano.
The first was called “She Never Grows Old”. He told us that he wrote it eighteen years ago and dedicated it to the daughter he has not seen in that much time – “ Everything she did went between right and wrong …”
Terrel’s second had the title, “Paybacks Are A Bitch My Dear”. It was very difficult to make out his lyrics. The piano is a loud instrument and it drowns out the voice. On top of that, anyone playing the piano in that room has their back to the audience. When I first started coming to the Yellow Door a few years ago there were some microphones and an amplifier. Tom said people ripped the equipment off and it hasn’t been replaced. It would be pretty easy to steal things from 6 St Joseph. Earlier that night I saw someone about to pick up Tom’s guitar, and when Tom walked up he explained that he’d thought it was his own, even though he hadn’t come with a guitar.
After Terrel was Jim, who was sitting across the table from me, and stayed there for his performance. He had two recorders and a harmonica, with which he played various instrumental covers.
The first, played on harmonica was George Gershwin’s “Summertime”.
Then on his larger recorder he played Antonio Carlos Jobim’s “The Girl From Ipanema”.
Returning to the harmonica, Jim played a song, the title of which he said he didn’t know. I told Jim that if you don’t know the name of a song before you play it, you’re a slut. He didn’t really appreciate what I’d said, perhaps because I didn’t explain the analogy that had occurred to me while he’d been playing. I thought that playing a song is like making love to someone and so if you don’t know the song’s name when you play it, that makes you a slut. Carole recognized the tune and told Jim that he’d been playing, “Wonderland By Night” by Bert Kaempfert.
Another selection was “Satin Doll”, which he said was by Count Basie. Of course I wouldn’t know this without looking it up, but it was actually written by Duke Ellington and Billy Strayhorn.
Jim’s final instrumental was “Smile”. When Jim was done, Carole said to everybody, “Do you know who wrote that? Charlie Chaplin!” I said that he actually didn’t write it but rather adapted it. Jim declared affirmatively, “Oh, he wrote it!” I argued that he hadn’t and that it was inspired by Puccini’s “Tosca”. Jim was not very well disposed towards me because of my earlier comment, so he shook his head in disgust. The fact is that if most people were asked to sing that song, the melodic part they’d most easily remember, which makes up the first half of each verse, is lifted right out of Puccini’s “Tosca”.
The last person on the list was a guy whose name I didn’t catch and whose signature on the sheet I couldn’t make out. He had been there before the open stage started talking about a movie that was going to use his song and pay him $50,000 for it. The song was an original gospel number called “I Didn’t Hear Nobody Pray”. It was a jumpy number that had Tom and lots of other people jamming along. When it was done, he mentioned again that the song has made him $50,000 and possibly 5% of the film. I don’t think that he’s received any money yet; I’m sceptical of him getting any money at all, and certainly not 5% of the film. Anything’s possible, but most things aren’t likely.
He sang another self-written though derivative gospel song about going down to the river to pray and washing his sins away. He was wearing a t-shirt with the words “God is love” on it.
He declared that he was in a gospel mood and so for his last selection he sang the traditional song, “May the Circle Be Unbroken”. An enthusiastic circle of people were standing and playing along.
While up until a couple of years ago, the Yellow Door open stage ran sometimes until after midnight on the second Saturday of every month, the new policy at the centre is to be done by 23:00. With the list finished and still half an hour left, Tom invited me to get up and do another song.
I sang “Bad Girls and Naughty Boys”, my translation of Serge Gainsbourg’s “Villaine Filles, Mauvais Garcons”- “ … There is no one else alive but you who can make me glow. If your parents found a way to wipe your mind, I would teach you all the things that you already know …” When I was finished, Tom thought that it had been a pretty short song, so he asked me to do another.
I did “Judy” another translation – “ … if I tire of the fight, my love on that fateful night, Judy, before that night is through, I’ll kill you.”
Tom then led a jam with the song, “This Little Light of Mine” by Avis Christiansen and Harry Loes. Terrel was playing along on the piano, Ernest and Janice on guitar, Jim on harmonica, Carole on flute and someone playing the bongos.
When that was finished, someone new came forward to play some songs. His name was Gary, and he was a small, older man with advanced osteoporosis. Cad said that he recognized him from the subway, where he plays guitar. He borrowed a guitar and then told us that he hoped he hadn’t interrupted verses thirty-seven and thirty-eight of that last song.
He said that since someone had asked him to play something, he’d play “Something” by George Harrison. When that was done he quipped, “Now that I’ve got your attention I’ll do an original.” But first of all he turned to our enthusiastic straw-hatted friend and asked him not to play the tambourine, at least for the first couple of verses.
The song was called “In My Mind” and he played it well. It’s about being far away from the one you care about and wanting to be back with them.
Gary finished with a song by one of his favourite songwriters of all time: Jackson Browne. The song was “Fountain of Sorrow” – “ … I was taken by a photograph of you … While the future’s there for anyone to change … it seems it would be easier sometimes to change the past …”
Tom finished the night with a song for everyone to sing and play along. I watched his fingers and followed along on my guitar. The song sounded like a traditional gospel song and was called “Peace Like A River”, with repetitions of having peace like a river, love like an ocean and other nice things that are like other natural things “in my soul”. 
As Cad and I were leaving we saw Gary exiting with a walker. I held the door while someone else helped him down the stairs.
Cad and I walked down Yonge to College, talking about how much the street at its southern end has or hasn’t changed. We remembered when there was a body rub studio or two or three on every block.
            As I rode home through the chilly night, I passed many heroic women dressed to kill in short skirts and dresses, braving the cold to fulfill their role in the mating dance at the mating dance clubs along Queen West.

No comments:

Post a Comment