Sunday 22 May 2016

Wasteful Packaging

           


            On the morning of Sunday, May 15th, since I had forgotten to buy coffee the last three times I’d gone to the supermarket, I had to open up a bunch of those single cup coffee “pods” that I got from the food bank. It was a tedious process, cutting each one open and pouring the contents into my coffee can, and then putting four scoops of it into my French press. All that packaging around one serving of coffee grounds seems like a ridiculous waste, but I imagine that’s how they make their money. The coffee was just like any other medium ground coffee and actually pretty good.
I had planned on taking an early bike ride but I took a longer siesta than I’d expected. It was extremely windy, especially around Bloor and Bay, and chilly too. I was glad I had on my motorcycle jacket and my leather gloves. I rode to Ferrier and Danforth, singing part of “Why I Drink”, which will be my English version of Boris Vian’s “Je Bois”, over and over again, and making changes to the lyrics as I went along. It’s a fun, big band type number that I’m looking forward to learning how to play. I rode up Ferrier to Browning and then down Carlaw.
I stopped at Freshco and finally remembered to buy coffee. It’s probably a good thing that I’d forgotten all those times because I found dark roast Maxwell House on sale this week. I had also brought a No Frills flyer with me. They are selling watermelon for $2.95, so with a price match I got three dollars off the Freshco price. I tried to price match a half kilogram tube of ground beef and pork because Freshco was selling it quite a bit cheaper, but since the No Frills price was by weight, they wouldn’t recognize it as a match.

I had planned on buying a can of Creemore on the way home but I forgot that it was Sunday. I still had some Budweiser in the fridge though and so I drank that with a ham, cheese and tomato sandwich and French fries for dinner. 

No comments:

Post a Comment