Sunday 8 May 2016

Unplugged Electroshock Hootenanny: a review of Fat Albert's Open Stage for Wednesday, May 4th

           


            The night of Wednesday, May 4th, I went to Fat Albert’s open stage, but because the Steelworkers Hall had booked the room to another group, the doors wouldn’t open for us until 21:00, as opposed to the usual time of 19:00. That gave me time to actually have dinner and to even watch an episode of Gunsmoke before heading out at 20:15.
            When I arrived, there were a few regulars gathered in the area where the security guard usually sits. It looked like there were two large union meetings going on, but they might have been related. A big, bearded guy in his early middle age and with tattoos telling an incomplete story that stopped at his rolled up sleeves, came carrying a box out of the nearest meeting and apologized for bumping our event. He told us that he plays guitar himself, so he sympathizes. John Stroud, perhaps in his 80s, was sitting behind the desk, and asked him why he’d never brought his guitar to Fat Albert’s. The union man explained that he doesn’t live in Toronto. John asked him if he’d heard of Fat Albert’s before, but he said that he only remembered an animated television show by that name from when he was a kid. John told him that Fat Albert’s is the oldest Folk coffee house in Canada and that this is its 49th year.
The union man dumped the contents of the box onto the desk, and with the help of a couple of assistants, began counting ballots. Once the vote had been decided, he laughed when John Stroud said, “Don’t tell me Trump won!” then he went back into the room.
            I noticed that the sign-in sheet for the open stage was on the desk. I put my name down at around number ten. Brian Rosen, who was sitting at the desk next to John, remembered that I’d told him the week before that I was writing a review. He wanted to know who I write for. I told him newz4u.net. Another guy who I’d never seen before, a big man who calls himself Dark Cloud wearing a black pork pie hat and looking something like a slightly younger than Hank Kingsley version of Jeffrey Tambor, asked me which open stages I review, and wondered if I do the one at the Free Times. I told him that I didn’t like the Free Times and wouldn’t go there again. John Stroud wanted to know why I didn’t like the Free Times. I told him that I think the person who owns the place is a pushy, greedy and tyrannical control freak. John said that he doesn’t go there either but it’s because of the open stage and how it’s run without consideration for the performers. Brian wanted to know if I review people’s CDs but I told him I don’t.
            Peter James came in as the union group were reciting a set of vows. He began to mock them, for some reason, though out of earshot of the meeting.
            They were wrapping up the union meeting. The bearded guy that seemed to be in charge came out and gave us what was left over of their pizza and their cardboard encased jugs of Tim Horton’s coffee. As he addressed the members in the other room, he encouraged them as they left to thank us for our patience. So as the people, mostly women, and mostly African Canadian women, came slowly streaming out of a room we weren’t even waiting to use, most of them did as the shop steward suggested and apologized for keeping us waiting. I told one woman that said goodnight that she was welcome to stay, but she told me she’d been there too long already. Another that I’d invited stopped to ask what kind of music we play. I said that it was mostly Folk music, but that wasn’t what I do. She left.
            Once we were in our room, Glen Garry got things started right away without setting up any electrical enhancements. It was going to be a night without guitar pick-ups or microphones, and because of the late start we would have only one song each.
            As usual, Charles Winder set the atmosphere with some Spanish guitar. It was a sad, slow and sombre number that fit well with the close of the day and that evoked the vision of a tired ride on horseback through the moonlight.
            When Charles was done, Brian Rosen let out a loud whoop of appreciation and Charles walked to his seat wearing an unfamiliar grin.
            The second performer was Isaac, who was at Fat Albert’s for the first time, but who I’d heard sing and play at the Tranzac two nights before. Isaac sat down on stage looking puzzled, then asked if he would be plugging in. Glen told him not tonight, and that it would be an old fashioned night of music, like New York City in 1908. Isaac sang – “Oh girl, what did she become, her father, the beast, he’d sit and drink his rum … he tore off the clothes she would wear … Now out on the street, she’s making ends meet …
            When Isaac was finished, Glen suggested that since we were unamplified that we move the performance area off the stage and closer to the audience, for a more intimate set-up. We agreed, and so the next performer, Wes Ayew (I don’t know if this is how his last name is spelled) sat in a chair halfway between the stage and the front row. Like Isaac, Wes was a young guy, probably in his twenties. Unaffected by the lack of a microphone, with a strong voice, he sang a slow, original song entitled, “War and Peace” – “ … a history played on repeat … I’m searching for release from this war and peace … The same disguise covers the truth about fear … I have cracked through the looking glass to a future born of the past … a voice can change the world and freedom is in our speech …”
            After Wes was Dark Cloud, who said, “It’s nice to be back at Massey Hall in a sold-out show!”
            John Stroud called back, “You will receive a sitting ovation!”
            Dark Cloud laid out some lyric sheets in front of him and told us that he was going to do a poem that he wrote eight or nine years ago. When he began to sing, there wasn’t a lot of volume and so I couldn’t make out much of his lyrics. He got louder as he warmed up – “I’m looking for a new woman … a woman always within sight … to love and hug and kiss all night long … Touched by arms of grey fire … When silence echoes, amplifiers explode …” His song was very very long, with a repeated chorus about looking for a new woman and several verses of the poem in between. The song that I planned on doing was about seven minutes long and I had been slightly worried that the duration might be excessive, but Dark Cloud’s ditty dragged on for about ten minutes, so I didn’t feel so bad about mine.
            Then it was time for the feature of the night, Paul Mack. Glen helped him to the performance chair and Paul directed his guide dog to lie down under it. Paul sat down with his foot on the leash, but I don’t know if that was intentional or coincidental. Paul asked if he was facing everyone straight, and when that was confirmed, he apologized for not having come to Fat Albert’s for the last few weeks. He added though that the upside of his recent absences would be to make his repertoire seem fresh.
            Paul set up his first instrumental composition by explaining how the title came about. He told us that his employment counsellor sent him a message about a potential job at a place called “Tangled Arts” but his computer’s reading software spoke the name as “Tangled Darts”, so he thought that would be an interesting name for a guitar piece he’d written, and then he played it for us. It reminded me of some of Bruce Cockburn’s instrumental compositions.
            Paul’s next piece was a cover of Sam Beam’s “Naked As We Came” – “ … I’ll keep stealing, breathing her … one of us will die inside these arms … one will spread our ashes round the yard …”
            Paul told us that he felt obligated to play a Neil Young song, since Glen referred to him as a “young” musician in the media announcement for that night, even though he’s fifty-three years old. He sang “Needle and the Damage Done” – “ … I sing the song because I love the man, I know that some of you don’t understand, milk blood to keep from running out …” Paul picked the song in pretty much the exact same way as Neil does.
            Paul’s fourth offering was a Scottish song that he said was written by Sir Walter Scott and he said Dick Gaughan called “Jock o’ Hazeldeane”. I think that Paul must have meant that he’d heard Gaughan sing the song. He didn’t have anything to do with writing it – “ … A chain of gold ye shall not lack, nor braid to bind you hair, nor mettled hound, nor managed hawk, nor palfrey fresh and fair. And you, the fairest of them a' shall ride our forest queen.' But aye she loot the tears down la' for Jock o' Hazeldean …” I had to track these lyrics down later because Paul was singing them in an affected Scottish accent and I couldn’t figure out most of what he was saying.
Paul then did an Irish song. This one was Tommy Makem’s “Four Green
Fields” – “ … I had four green fields, each one was a jewel, but strangers came and tried to take them from me. I had fine strong sons, who fought to save my jewels … my four green fields ran red with their blood, said she … I have four green fields, one of them's in bondage, in strangers hands, that tried to take them from me, but my sons have sons as brave as were their fathers, my four green fields will bloom once again said she …”
            For Paul’s last song he played another of his own original instrumental compositions. He explained that the title of this one was inspired partly by Stephen King’s “Dark Tower” and partly by his own memories up until 1999 of having sight. The piece was entitled “I Still Remember the Face of My Father” and I think it was Paul’s best offering of the night. It was well composed and he played it well.
            I think that Paul Mack should have only done his own work for his feature at Fat Albert’s. The two originals that he did play were the most impressive of his set. Of the covers that he offered us, while sometimes he did an adequate job vocally, he is a much better guitarist than he is a singer. Of the Neil Young cover, he did not add anything new to what Young had already done, so he should have left it alone. An entire set of Paul Mack songs however would have made for a stronger overall performance.
            Returning to the open stage, we started with Peter James, who did, “Stand Tall”, which could be considered his signature song – “ … you can’t do it all, it’ll bind you … you can’t see it all, it’ll blind you …”
            Next was Dawn, who sang and played “One Less Bell to Answer”, which I remember Marilyn McCoo singing back in the 60s. I’d never really thought about its authorship, but as I listened to Dawn singing it I could tell that it had Burt Bacharach and Hal David written all over it, and I was right.
            Brian Rosen followed Dawn, singing Thomas Moore’s “Believe Me, If All Those Endearing Young Charms”. He told us that Moore’s wife’s face had been badly scarred by smallpox and had shut herself in to hide her disfigurement. The story goes that Moore wrote this song and sang it to her in order to draw her out – “Believe me, if all those endearing young charms, which I gaze on so fondly to-day, were to change by tomorrow, and fleet in my arms, like fairy-gifts, fading away, thou wouldst still be ador'd as this moment thou art, let thy loveliness fade as it will; and, around the dear ruin, each wish of my heart would entwine itself verdantly still …”
            Then Glen called me to the stage. I told the audience that the last time at fat Albert’s that I’d done the song that I was going to do it was in another century and it was also when Fat Albert’s had been in the catacombs deep beneath Bloor Street. I sang “Instructions for Electroshock Therapy” – “ … We’ll strap their legs and their arms for shock therapy, they can’t do any harm without their memory, shock therapy, and if you think someone’s insane then drive some lightning through their brain, they won’t remember who to blame for shock therapy …” When I was done, Glen quoted a line from the last verse, “refer to CURRENT literature”, and because of the play on words told me, “Very good!” I did put that in the song because of the play on words, but it didn’t come entirely from my imagination. It actually said, “Refer to current literature” in the manual that I found, though I doubt if the author of the instructions picked up on the pun he or she had made.
            After me was another young man, Neil Trotter, who said he was going to do a Neil Young song, but not the one that Paul Mack had done. I said, “I think he’s written a couple of other songs.” He sang and played “Winterlong” – “ … You seem to be where I belong, it’s all illusion anyway … waiting to follow through the dreamlight of your way …”
            Neil was followed by Jean Claude Sendez, who covered, Gordon Lightfoot’s “Second Cup of Coffee” – “ … If I don’t stop this trembling hand from reaching for the phone I’ll be reaching for the bottle before this day is done…”
            Next was Paul Nash, who told us that he was going to do a Buffy Sainte-Marie song. He informed us that she was banned from airplay in the United States for a few years because of some of her protest songs. I know that she thinks that she was blacklisted, it may be true, and I wouldn’t put it past the U.S. government, but Buffy’s never produced any real evidence to prove her claim. The Sainte-Marie song Paul did was “Until It’s Time For You To Go”.
            I remember seeing Buffy perform on Canada Day at Harbourfront back in the early 80s, and she was great. What really stands out in my memory from that concert though was the young and unknown comedian who opened for her. He was very physical, and did amazing, sometimes with just his face rather than his voice. I was most impressed though when he stopped talking to the audience, got down on his stomach on the stage and began engaging with the little kids that were standing and watching nearby. I wonder what ever happened to Jim Carrey?
            Paul stayed up front without his guitar and was joined by Carole Parkash. They sang the Charlie Chaplin, John Turner and Geoffrey Parsons song, “Smile”, the melody of which was based on Puccini’s “Tosca”, and they interwove it with the Johnny Mandel and Paul Francis Webster song “The Shadow of Your Smile”. They began with “Smile”, sang “The Shadow of Your Smile” and ended again with “Smile”.
            After Carole was a young man named Sean Patterson, who told us that he’d just moved to Toronto from Kingston three days before. He did a very animated and heartfelt performance of Van Morrison’s “Into the Mystic” and even danced a bit as he played and sang – “We were born before the wind, also younger than the sun … I wanna rock your gypsy soul, just like way back in the days of old, and together we will float into the mystic …”
            Ruth Jenkins quite often arrives at Fat Albert’s early, but she seems to deliberately sign up late. Maybe she likes to think of everyone else as her opening act.
            As Ruth was getting ready to do her song, Glen asked her jokingly if she wanted some piano accompaniment. She said he could do some air piano if he wanted, and then suggested that he belly dance. He assured her he could do it and I said that I’d like to see that.
            Ruth decided that since this was “kind of a home spun night” she’d do a Pete Seeger song. She sang, ”Where Have All the Flowers Gone”. Pete Seeger did write it, but Joe Hickerson is the one who arranged the song so it would end where it began. Glen picked up his guitar and played along, at first while standing off to the side and then while sitting in his chair. A lot of the audience were singing along. She gave herself a harmonica lead, opened up a space for Glen to do his stuff and then finished with a shorter harmonica lead.
            When Ruth was done she thought the night was finished, and was surprised when Glen started introducing someone else. “What? Someone’s trying to upstage me?” she asked.
            Next was Igor, but Glen pronounced it “Eegor”. We corrected him that it was spoken as, “Eyegor”. Ruth said “Tomayto, tomahto!” as she left the stage.
            Igor sat down to begin reciting the lyrics to “The Mary Ellen Carter” by Stan Rogers – “She went down last October in the pouring, driving rain …” But then he stopped and told us that he couldn’t do it. He started a different poem – “You fill my every waking hour … I know that you’ll devour me in the end … time … got enough to fill though we know we never will … time is heavy like a stone … gnaws away while the moments last for years … time is wasting me … self pity drips like iodine on this wounded heart of mine …” I couldn’t find this poem in a search, but I don’t know if Igor wrote it.
            Then came Mama D, who I’d noticed left the room while I was performing. Her song asked the question, “What are you gonna do with that pain inside of you?”
            After Mama D, Glen asked us to please welcome Glen Garry to the stage. He sang and played Steve Goodman’s “City of New Orleans”, but in the lines “passing trains that have no name, freight yards full of old Black men and the graveyards of rusted automobiles …”, for some reason Glen substituted “tired old men” for “old Black men”. With a change of two words, Glen put a lot of elderly African Americans out of work. About halfway through, Ruth came walking up beside Glen, while playing her harmonica, and she sang along on the last chorus.
            Following Glen was Elizabeth Knowlton, who sang one of her own songs – “ … go under the stars … go down to the river where everything is ours … Politicians are caught between the people and the rich, they’re afraid to be J.F.K.d … All of your suffering has always been to open the door of your heart so you can walk in …”
            The next to last performer was Audrey, with probably an original, since the lyrics didn’t come up in a search – “No matter the tears life has stolen … it doesn’t matter how you move from stern to bow … no finer lesson have I than you …”
            The final performer was Zoe Henderson, who only had a guitar to play this time and who told us that she only knows one song on guitar, so she sang her own “Wallaceberg”. Glen joined in, and when she forgot the lyrics she gave him a lead break while she tried to remember them – “ … the wind is picking up outside, it tore that stop sign down”.
            I think that when I helped stack the chairs, my guitar pick got stacked between them. I didn’t realize that until I was walking to my bike, but there was no point going back to look for it. I had a black one at home, though I made a mental note to replace the purple one as soon as I could.

No comments:

Post a Comment