Tuesday 19 July 2016

Connie

           


            On the hot Sunday evening of June 19th, while riding west along Bloor Street I noticed that there was still some kind of festival going on at Christie Pits, as there had been the day before. It turns out that it’s the Inti Raymi summer solstice festival, put on by Toronto’s Latin community.
            When I got to Avenue Road I found that Bloor was closed to traffic from Avenue Road to Bay Street as part of the Yorkville Exotic Car show. I had to walk my bike to Bay before I could ride again. So much for seeing how much of Leaside I could explore if I give myself 47 minutes to ride there.
            It’s definitely harder work riding up Yonge to St Clair than it is going out to he Danforth. There’s a lot less competition from other cyclists though.
            I rode along Sutherland from Bayview to Midland. The grid I’m exploring is shaped more like a spider web than the normal rectangular arrangements. Every eastbound street takes a sharp turn after the angled section of Midland and runs north parallel to Midland’s northbound end.
            I watched the first episode of Hawaiian Eye. I remember seeing some of them when I was a kid but didn’t remember much other than that it was sort of a Hawaiian rip off of 77 Sunset Strip. There was nothing outstanding about the first show. What struck me as extremely unrealistic was that this private detective agency would have so much influence on the police, so much so that beat cops would treat the guys like they were their superiors. The show had 60s cutie Connie Stevens as a nightclub singer who sang as if she were enclosed in an echo chamber.

No comments:

Post a Comment