Tuesday 12 July 2016

Hard to Resist a Box of Free Books

           


            For the sixth Friday in a row no one came to my yoga class at PARC. If no students show up by June 24th I’m going to pack it in. I’ve got better things to do with my Fridays.
            On the evening of June 10th I rode out to Broadview, then north to O’Connor and east to Pape, then north to where it meets Donlands at the bridge. I went down Rivercourt, which has a few cute little houses, some of which look pretty expensive for small homes. I still have four more streets to explore between Donlands and O’Connor before I cross the bridge.
            On the way east, as I was passing Brunswick and Bloor, I noticed some books had been thrown out. I took the same route home just in case they were still there, and they were. The books were not, for the most part, in sellable shape, but they were all intact. Of the thirty or so that were there, I took, “The Coming of the Revolution: 1763 – 1775” by Lawrence Henry Gipson; “Long Days Journey Into Night” by Eugene O’Neill; and the Norton Anthology of English Literature, Volume 1 and Volume 2, the first of which covers the literature from the Middle Ages to the mid-18th Century, and the second from where the first left off to the 1950s.
            My Ontario Trillium benefit came through, so I took out sixty dollars, went to No Frills. My groceries cost $59.70.
            As I was leaving I saw Igor, the ancient man who comes to Fat Albert’s and recites poetry. I greeted him, but he seemed kind of indifferent.

No comments:

Post a Comment