Tuesday 19 July 2016

Wild West Batman

           


            Since I first got Windows 7 a couple of years ago, my computer, upon restarting sometimes, changes the display size for everything but Microsoft Word periodically back and forth between a larger format and a smaller one. I suspect that it’s the result of changes made by Windows updates. I prefer the smaller format and the one good outcome that came from Windows 10 hijacking my computer a few weeks ago was that it seemed to fix everything into the smaller format. When I got up on Saturday though, I found that everything had restarted due to an update and it was back in the large format. Grrrr!
On Saturday I took advantage of a very warm day to do my laundry in the bathtub and to hang it out on the deck. There was a little less room on the railing though because my neighbour had had the same idea and hung his comforter out to dry. I have one spare sheet that I washed recently because my stinky cat, Jonquil had been lying on it near the laundry basket. I got the smell off but it was still covered with cat hair. I tried washing it again this time but the hair remains. I think the only thing that might get it off is the rotation of a Laundromat dryer. It’s not that important because it’s just an extra sheet, so I guess it can wait until fall.
When I went for my bike ride, some SUV made a right turn without signalling after the light changed and could have clipped me if I hadn’t been aware.
I went to Yonge Street, rode north to St Clair, east to Englewood, north to Moore and then east into Leaside. Once I was past Bayview I started exploring the streets south of Moore and later Southvale. There was a big complex of identical, small apartment buildings that looked more like they were part of a community college campus. I cycled to Millwood and then back the way I came.
I listened to David Bowie’s second album, “David Bowie” and then part of his third, “Space Oddity”. The quality of the songwriting and the production improved with each of these albums. Space Oddity was the first of his songs that had electric guitar in a rock arrangement. From the second album, I particularly liked “We Are Hungry Men” and from “Space Oddity” besides the title song, I liked “Unwashed and Somewhat Slightly”.
            I finished watching the first season of Have Gun – Will Travel. I won’t bother downloading the second season but I enjoyed the character of Paladin. He’s sort of like a wild west Batman in the sense that there doesn’t seem to be much that he doesn’t know how to do. On two occasions he acted as a lawyer, he has an impossible amount of knowledge, he’s the president of an exclusive club in San Francisco, and the list goes on. Somehow he has gotten rich as a soldier of fortune, but in the episodes in which good people hire him, he hardly ever takes their money.

No comments:

Post a Comment