Tuesday 5 July 2016

Frequency Z at Penny's, with Nick Love and Starpilot

           


            As I rode north on Brock Avenue on the evening of Saturday, June 4th, the sky was full of purple bevelled clouds. I passed an ice cream truck, whose siren call to local children was “Turkey in the Straw”.
            It had begun to cool down outside, but when I walked in to Penny’s at 20:50 the first thing I noticed was that it was very hot in the bar. At that time the only person on stage was Bruce Brandao, the Frequency Zed drummer setting up his kit. The only person in the tiny audience area was a young woman who looked like a dedicated girlfriend, sitting and watching him as he worked and as he sang along with the pop songs that were playing on the bar’s sound system.
            I sat at the far back and in the corner, on the end of an old fashioned but probably not antique gold coloured ornate sofa like the kind one finds in working class Italian furniture stores.
            Nick Cushing, Bruce March and Zedman Slavinsky (Slava) arrived together because Nick transported them and their equipment.
            When Slava saw me he thanked me for sending him the words to the song “Stanislavski” by Silvia Fine. He had sent me a birthday greeting, and in response I’d sent him the funny song about a famous Russian because I think that Slava likes humour and because he’s Russian.
           
            “Who is world’s greatest actor, and how did I get that way?
            Who made me a genius,
            The greatest projactor who ever wore a toupee?
            Who made me most melancholy Hamlet,
            the deadest Romeo who died for his bride?
            Who made me most awful Doctor Jekyll and then made me Hide?

            Stanislavsky! Stanislavsky of the Mosky art!
            Stanislavsky! A director from the heart!

            I’ll never forget first time I meet great master …
            He took me by the hand and beat my head against the
(sound of banging five times) wall
and in one word he tell me the secret of the great Stanislavsky method … Suffer! … That’s all.
            Suffer! You must live before you give!
            Suffer! You must ache before you make!
            Suffer! You must think before you stink!
            Suffer! Suffer! Suffer! Suffer! Suffer! Suffer! Suffer!
            Suffer … and the audience suffers with you.

            Stanislavsky … Stanislavsky …

            I will never forget the day I get first part to play
            They tell me I am to be sailor
            But first I must suffer
            What I’m going to do?
            I join navy … become sailor
            First day out … big storm … It was terrible!
            At first I was afraid I was going to die
            Then I was afraid I wasn’t going to die
            But I suffered

So if you want career on stage
You mustn’t dream of merely acting
Use the Stanislavsky method
Of mental chiropracting
Be a tree, be a sled,
be a purple spool of thread
Be a storm, a piece of lace
A subway train, an empty space
Take it fast, take it slow.
Hello Moe! Hello Joe!
Just got back from a Vaudeville show!

I’ll never forget the day Brooks Atkinson say I stink
I was playing part of stable boy
It was a great Russian tragedy
It was beautiful! Everybody died!
I also played part in great Russian comedy
Everybody died, but they died happy
This makes it funny

But I will never forget the day of my greatest triumph
I am playing part of antique mahogany bureau
So convincing in the third act, my drawers fell out!
And who was the man who loosened my screws?
Who pulled me all apart?
            Stanislavsky! Stanislavsky of the Mosky art!”

            Silvia Fine wrote the song for her husband, Danny Kaye, as she did most of the songs that he sang.
            Slava began to set up the sound for their show. The cords that one of the other acts brought were not compatible with the house system. Someone declared that he was tired of dealing with cords, and asked, “Isn’t this the wireless age?”
            The line-up for the night turned out to be pretty much the same set of performers that I’d seen share the stage on the first occasion that I’d seen Frequency Zed play at the Smiling Buddha a couple of years before.
            There was an extremely talkative man at the bar and on the television above the bar, “Blade”, starring Wesley Snipes, was playing.
            This event was officially the launch of the Frequency Zed single, “TTC”.  Nick was telling me about how he’d made an animated video of the song for the band.
Suddenly there was a loud electronic screech from the sound system as the musicians continued to set up their equipment.
Nick tried to give me the rest of his beverage because he’d accidentally bought a disappointing wheat beer. I turned it down and told him he’d have to “say his prairies”.
Duane Starpilot, one of the opening acts, was drinking a glass of ice water and explained that it’s supposed to loosen up the vocal chords for hitting the higher notes. This is the kind of thing that needs to be researched, so after following up I discovered that muscle function of the voice can be inhibited by cold fluids and relaxed too much by hot fluids. Lots of water is very good to lubricate the voice but it should be taken at room temperature.
The first performer was Nick Love, singing physically alone on stage but backed up by a pre-recorded soundtrack of his band, including himself on lead guitar. The first song was called “Love Will Be Love Today”. Nick Cushing had told me beforehand that Nick’s sound is very 80s in style, and that was clear from the start. Nick’s guitar work on the soundtrack is quite good. Nick Cushing says that he doesn’t understand why the guy doesn’t at least play his guitar at these gigs when his band can’t make it.
The second song had the great title of, “Danger Danger” and the music was fine but the lyrics were nothing to speak of.
“Radio”, his next song had a hooky intro but the hook went away.
It not only looked more like karaoke for Nick to be just standing there and singing with a soundtrack, but his stance, with his thumbs and sometimes his entire hands in his pockets, was extremely undynamic. Nick Cushing called out to Nick Love, asking, “Where’s your guitar?” His answer was that he’d forgotten how to play the guitar solo.
Nick’s soundtrack was being played out of his cellphone and through the house sound system, but it sounded great. The only problem was that while he was singing his composition, “Nature of the Soul”, his phone actually rang, cutting off the music, until he turned it off and continued. It would have been funny and interesting if he’d been able to incorporate the interruption into the song, by actually taking the call and talking for a few seconds.
His physically absent band, called Symphonic Envy, is actually pretty good and it has a good name. The titles for his songs are also interesting, such as “Ominous Plane” – “ … Where the skies are dark, the stars are gone … Break down … on the ground … the world is spinning round … No one can find us anyway on this plane.”
Another song was named “Takers” – “ … Don’t lose control, that’s not the way you know …”
Nick Cushing thinks that Nick Love’s music is sort of a mix between Journey and prog-rock.
I hear Nick’s vocal style to be more that of a crooner than a rock and roll voice.
Bruce March, the bass player for Frequency Zed, and someone that I’ve known for twenty years, came over to where I was sitting to tell me that he was going to buy me a beer later on. While walking away though, he tripped over the cord that was running between Slava’s phone-sized recording device where it was sitting on the coffee table and the wall outlet where it was plugged in. The result was that Slava’s recorder was knocked to the floor, causing, it seems, a piece of the apparatus to come off. Slava spent a lot of time looking for it and I had to get up several times while he kept on moving everything around to try to find it.
Nick Love’s final song was called “You Are”.
Nick Love is a good songwriter of pop-rock tunes and his voice is pleasant to listen to. It’s awkward though to watch someone perform their own material as if it were karaoke. I agree with Nick Cushing that if Love had even brought a recording of his own band without the guitar and had brought his guitar to play along live, it would have made for a much better show than watching someone sing with his hands in his pockets. The titles for his songs suggest that he has some lyrical creativity but that doesn’t show itself much in mediocre poesy of his songs. Perhaps he deliberately holds back in that field to prevent him from sounding too heavy.
When Duane Starpilot was introduced, I began singing, “Staaaaar pilot!” to the tune of  “Sky Pilot” by Eric Burdon and the Animals. When Duane came up to the microphone he acknowledged my chant by saying that he’d actually gone to see Eric Burdon and the Animals a couple of years before, but the only original band members were Burdon and the piano player, while the rest were in their twenties. He didn’t say which original piano player from the Animals that he’d seen though. There had been several.
Like Nick Love, Starpilot played to a backing track, but it was a track that he’d created electronically and he also was playing his guitar live, demonstrating quite well Nick Cushing’s point.
Starpilot’s first song was called “Hollyhocks” – “No one gives a shit … social atrophy, don’t tell me what’s good for me … Need someplace to calm me down … Swallow pride and carry on, always something going on …” The song had kind of a Punk feel, only it was more organized, with a marching beat.
For his next piece he started off kind of scatting in a Punk-Ska style. He has a good voice, and almost sounded like he was yodelling at times and though the music was different, the vocal reminded me of the song “Hocus Pocus” by the Dutch 70s band, Focus. From the song – “Slips on his brain and thinks he’ll never be the same … He climbs the stairs to find the roof … It’s just a way to hide … Over actor … It’s too late … Haunted captor …”
His guitar work was quite interesting and overall he laid down a wide variety of sounds.
He said that his next offering was a My Bloody Valentine cover. He got very animated during the strumming instrumental break.
His next was perhaps called, “There’s a Soul In Your Head” and the guitar work was kind of funky, but this song and some of his others do not end well. They just suddenly stop, with no transition.
From another song – “ … It’s just another angle that you move through life …” A lot of Starpilot’s music has an 80s feel.
There was an instrumental piece with the title, “The Future Is Not The Past”. He uses quite an eclectic mix of styles in his song writing.
Next, Starpilot performed a cover of  “Whoever You Are” by the Brian Jonestown Massacre, and was dancing as he began to play and sing – “I will take you for a ride deep inside, won’t beg you step inside, please …”
Between songs, Starpilot needed to tune his guitar. Nick commented that he needs more than one guitar and someone to just hand him a tuned one when he needs it.
From his last song – “ …What is the point of all this, of everything you feel you’ve got to do … I can see how everything’s a mess … I would kill every single one of you if I could …” It ended with a dramatic guitar solo with lots of sustained, vibrating notes.
Duane Starpilot is an eclectic songwriter with some interesting lyrics, good guitar playing and a dynamic performance style. His ability to digitally create the sounds of a backup band is also quite impressive.
Slava’s recording device was not working after the accident, so he asked Nick Cushing if he would record the frequency Zed show. He told him he would but said to me that his field recorder is not good for loud concerts.
It was quarter to midnight when Frequency Zed took to the stage. Slava spoke into the mic, “Testicles, one, two, three …”
From the first song – “ … I feel so down inside of destiny … the walls are turning back … A creature of the night … a stranger to yourself …”
Frequency Zed is mostly a prog-rock band and Slava and Bruce are quite good. I think though that they need a better drummer to match the quality of their playing.
Slava tells us that in their studio in the Junction their neighbours keep asking them to turn it down.
All of the songs they did on this occasion were written by Zedman Slavinsky, but I know that Bruce also writes songs. I have yet to hear him play them though.
They did their song “Never Late To Party”, which has lines such as – “Always late for school, never late to party … Always late for work, never late to party …”
Another song was “Thick As My Prick III” – “ … Karma’s gonna get you, karma for everyone …” with some very heavy guitar.
In another more pop-rock styled tune, Slava sang – “ … I wanna fly away … I gotta try … Starlit sky …” Slava told us that the song was a big hit in Vulgaria.
Slava said, “Never trust a digital tuner. I wish I’d that sooner.”
Their next song was more of a Heavy Metal piece called “Anthrophobia”, and it had a strong guitar solo by Slava.
Judging from his voice and the nature of his comments between songs, I’m pretty sure that Slava was a bit drunk at this point.
Slava asked us, “How do you kiss a girl where it smells?” and then he answered, “Take her to Hamilton.”
Then it was time for the song around which this event was built. Slava called their new single a “folk song” – “Ride the rocket, ride ride the rocket … I’m late for a date with the girl of my dreams … TTC, TTC, the better way for you and me … out of service … I got tired of waiting, so I started to walk … They don’t care if you’re late because when they go on strike, they will still get paid …”
They followed this with “Queen of Darkness” – “ … My queen of darkness, she has taken me away …”
Between songs, Slava started making a comparison between Canadian and US money, saying, “US money looks cheap, but they got all the money in the world!”
Bruce the drummer said to him, “Come on! Don’t scare people off!”
Their next song had the musical feel of an anthem – “ … Endless possibilities … the actors getting laid and getting paid … The world’s a nightmare or a dream …” For the only time that night, during this song Bruce March was given space for a bass solo. Afterward the song continued. I was exhausted. I leaned my head against the vibrating wall and went to sleep for just a few seconds, but long enough to have a dream that Satoshi Nagasaki, the mega-guitarist waiting at the other end of the couch to go on stage after Frequency Zed, was the manager of a food co-op and he was giving away free food.
Nagasaki and Bruce March were the only people in the bar that didn’t drink any alcohol that night. Satoshi nursed a bottle of spring water for hours, while Bruce brought his own green tea. This couldn’t be said for Slava, who I think was pretty hammered by that point. The drummer, Bruce Brandao was looking a little drunk as well. He noticed that the movie, “Rocky”, was playing above the bar and he shouted, “Give it up for Rocky Balboa! I fucking love that movie!”
Their last song of the night was another progressive rock song called “Burn Baby Burn” – “I still can hear your crystal voice … I’ve got to look for someone new to please my necrophilia …”
Slava thanked everyone for coming to their show.
Zedman Slavinsky writes songs in a variety of styles and though his lyrics are not generally great poetry and are often clichéd, some of the images are interesting. It’s in his guitar playing that Slava truly shines, and he may be one of the best rock guitarists in Toronto. I think though that Frequency Zed though would benefit from Slava not drinking so much at his shows. Also, although Slava can manage as the lead singer, the band might get further if they had a professional lead singer who can more easily hit the notes than Slava.
Bruce March’s contribution to the band as a bass player is considerable, and I think the quality of his playing is a good match for Slava’s guitar.
Bruce Brandao, while an adequate drummer, is less of a fit for Frequency Zed. I think that a polyrhythmic percussionist would top up the abilities of the rest of the band.
I would have liked to stay to watch and hear Nagasaki play his giant guitar, which is its own light show. I heard him at my first Frequency Zed show and his playing really was impressive. It was at least 1:00 though by the time Frequency Zed had finished and I was dead. I had to get home.
Slava was nice enough to give me a copy of their “TTC” single.
            I walked out into the pouring rain and saw Starpilot smoking in a doorway. I told him that I’d really enjoyed his set. I think I was pretty well soaked even before I’d unlocked my bike. At least home was only ten minutes away.

No comments:

Post a Comment