Saturday 16 July 2016

Who Killed Plastiscene?

           


            On the Sunday morning of June 12th I tried to change my flat back tire tube and to replace it with one that I’d saved from a previous flat because I wasn’t sure if there had really been a puncture. I had changed front tires at home in the past but never the back, because the way the chain hooks around the chain ring always confused me until I started going to Bike Pirates. I used a couple of plastic putty knives to remove the tire from the rim and I found that they work better than the plastic tools designed specifically for that task that they have at Bike Pirates. I was pretty proud of myself that I got everything back together. Throughout the day I kept reaching up to where my bike hangs from the ceiling to squeeze the tire and see if it was still inflated, and it was.
Since Sunday evening was going to be the last instalment of the Plastiscene Reading Series, I spent quite a bit of time during the day trying to prepare something special to read on the open stage. Since I started keeping a daily journal at the end of July 2013, and had included almost every night of Plastiscene in that journal, I decided to put together a file made up of all of my reviews of those monthly events. When that was done I had a hundred pages of Plastiscene reviews. My plan was to try to extract a moment from each night and to put together three minutes worth of three years of Plastiscene. I was still working on it when the usual time for me to leave came around. I worked for fifteen minutes longer but had to satisfy myself with one year of Plastiscene, which seemed appropriate because it covered the time just after the change of regime from Michael Fraser’s organization of the event up until Susie Berg and Rod Weatherbie’s take over.
When I headed for the Victory Café, I noticed that my back wheel was wobbling. I was pretty sure I’d put the will back on okay. I later checked but found no broken spokes. I wonder if riding for about a minute or less with a flat could have bent the frame.
There weren’t that many people on the second floor when I got to the Victory. I took a table at the front and got my poem out of my bag. I did some editing on the first few lines until I overheard Nicki Ward explain to one of the features the format for that evening. She mentioned something called “poets from a hat” as being the first half of the night, followed by a break and then the features. There was no mention of an open stage. I called to Nicki to ask and she confirmed that there would be no open stage for the last Plastiscene and that they already had their line-up set. That seemed wrong to me on all kinds of levels. What would have been a great way to close down Plastiscene would be to make it an all open stage night, so that everybody could join in rather than just a select few. When Nicki told me that, I just gave a sighing, “Okay”, packed up my stuff and left. It was a good thing that I hadn’t bothered to lug my guitar there for nothing.
I walked to my bike, but decided to call Cad to let him know that there was no open stage, just in case he was on his way there. He was home and hadn’t even known that the event was that night. Then he told me that there had been a shooting in Florida and that fifty people had been killed by “a Muslim”. Knowing Cad’s readiness to believe that anything bad that happens is caused by Muslims, I asked him if he was sure that it had been a Muslim that killed them. He put Goldie on the phone to confirm the religious orientation of the shooter, but just then I heard someone call my name. It was Rosalind Rundle, with her daughter. I had forgotten that she had planned on coming for the last Plastiscene in order to read some of her late father, Paul Valliere’s poetry as a tribute.
I told her that the open stage was not happening but that she could go up and talk to them anyway and to see if they’d let her read something. She went upstairs and I finished my conversation with Cad. He said that if I was staying he’d come down and meet me, but I told him I was leaving.
After ending the call though I decided to sit on the sidewalk for a few minutes just in case Rosalind came back out. It was pleasant and breezy in the evening sunlight. After about fifteen minutes, I got up and started to leave, but Rosalind came out and called to me. She said that at first they had been kind of blank about her request but Michael Fraser seems to have convinced them to let her read one poem. I sensed that she wanted me to be there when she did so, and she confirmed that was the case, so I changed my plans and joined her and her daughter at the back of the room.
Rosalind showed me three of Paul’s poems and she asked me to help her choose which one to read. There was one that I thought was a better poem, but another, called “What Kind Are You?” that plays on the two meanings of the word “kind”, was more reflective of Paul’s philosophy and so I suggested that she go with that. I only got a little bit teary eyed when she went up to the stage and read it.
I had only planned on staying till after she’d read, but it seemed more appropriate to wait until the break so as not to disrupt the other readings with my exit.
The first official speaker of the night was the founder of the Plastiscene Reading Series, Michael Fraser. He said that he had asked to go first because he knew that he was going to get emotional, and he did. He started crying a bit when he thanked people for their support. He also named Paul and I, which was nice.
A few other people read, a couple of whom hardly ever came to Plastiscene over the five years it existed. As far as I could tell, the names of several Plastiscene poets had been placed in a hat and each person that spoke, upon getting down from the stage, drew the name of the next poet. I think that Nicky would have let me know if my name had been among them. Over the last five years I probably came to Plastiscene more than anyone else and performed on the open stage more often than anyone else. I had also featured there once and brought in a fair number of people that night to hear me. I think that if Michael had still been in charge of the Plastiscene for the last event. Perhaps familiarity bred contempt or perhaps Susie just doesn’t like me. At the beginning of her tenure as the curator and grant applier for Plastiscene, she had placed Plastiscene among the many venues that had publicly banned Greg Frankson from attending their events because of allegations of inappropriate sexual touching and speech by Frankson that several Ottawa women had come forward about. I disagreed with the ban and called for open communication and confrontation as an alternative. Susie and several others didn’t like her decision being challenged. Maybe that’s the reason that I wasn’t included or maybe they just think I’m a lousy poet.
A couple of poets, such as Kate Marshal Flaherty and Lisa Richter read poems and gave testimonials. Their presence on stage made more sense than some of the others. Lizzie Violet’s reading made sense as well because she had done a lot of media work for Plastiscene over the years. She read a piece that presented mock ads by sex trade workers in the back of Now Magazine and then speculations about what the real people behind the ads were like. Rosalind was worried that her daughter would pick up wrong ideas about sex from Lizzie’s poem, but she was zoned out of the readings as she sat drawing in her book. In my experience, sexual language has no negative effect on children whatsoever unless one either imposes it on them or else makes it extremely taboo. I think that references to sex tend to just roll off of pre-sexual children’s consciousnesses like water off of a duck’s back. It’s not something to worry about. I took my daughter out to poetry readings where she heard all kinds of language and sexual references at a very young age. I don’t think that it negatively affected her at all.
Other than Michael Fraser, the star reader from the first set was Plastiscene’s former host, Cathy Petch. She read a piece that she’d obviously very recently written about the shooting in Florida that I’d only just heard about. Cad hadn’t mentioned that it was a Gay dance club that had been attacked. She predicted that both sides in the US presidential race were going to exploit this tragedy for political gain.
When the break came around, I asked Rosalind if she would be sticking around. She said that she thought she might because she was really getting into the poetry. I asked her if she was going to be okay if I left and she told me she would, so I gave her a big hug and left.
Rosalind’s father really hated the direction that Plastiscene took after Michael Fraser gave it up. I hadn’t been there the last time he’d attended Plastiscene before he died, but I spoke to him over the phone about it later. He said that he’d signed up for the open stage, which allows each reader three minutes. But that time Nicki had said that the open stage performers could only read one poem. Paul told her that he had two short ones and together they would take about two minutes to read. Nicki had said, “Okay, but make it quick!” He read his poems but felt disappointed in the series because it didn’t feel as friendly anymore. Michael Fraser had been the feature that night and Paul stayed to hear him, but left right after that. He told me that he would only go to the next Plastiscene because I told him that I’d be going, but he really wanted to find something better, like the open stage that I used to run. Paul died before he’d had the chance to read his poetry at Plastiscene again.
But why did Plastiscene die? I think that there were several contributing factors. The earlier version of Plastiscene was generally more relaxed about most aspects
of the format.
In terms of hosting, while Nicki Ward is very intelligent and often funny, she doesn’t have the almost magical spontaneous wit of Cathy Petch. Cathy also had something unique to say after each poet, including the open stagers, stepped down from the stage. This made everyone feel like they were an important part of the event. Nicki only did that occasionally.
Michael Fraser passed the hat in order to pay the featured readers, whereas Susie Berg applied for various council grants. Of course, Susie was able to get a bigger paycheque for the readers, but I think there is something to be said for letting the audience take responsibility for payment. It makes them feel like they are part of things in a fuller way than just applauding. I think that under Susie, features got a cheque for $200, but I was glad to get the $35 or so that I got when I featured. Also, when one applies for government grants, one is accountable to certain rules of political correctness that the granters impose. I agree with Banoo Zan’s approach at the Shab-e She’r poetry night, which is that there be absolutely no censorship.
            The last Plastiscene regime was not as open stage friendly as the first. Nicki Ward chopped the open mic segment by half and gave equal time to both the open stage and the gimmicky “poems from a hat”. I seriously doubt that anyone ever came to Plastiscene just to read a poem from the hat, whereas many people did come specifically to share their own writing on the open mic. To give equal attention to two segments that were obviously not equal was a gross error in judgement.

No comments:

Post a Comment