Thursday 12 December 2019

Floor Show


On Wednesday morning I was still a bit sick but it was pretty mild. This may be the shortest cold I’ve ever had.
The homeless couple hadn’t made a bed in front of the doorway of the Dollarama. They had kept their stuff piled up on the sidewalk at the front of the store until I went to bed but when I got up there were only two pillows lying there.
            I found a set of chords for “L’Hippopodame” by Serge Gainsbourg and saw that several sites just repeated the same ones. I found them to mostly fit when I used them, but I added a few in between. I just have the last line of the first verse to complete and all the verses are the same, with no chorus.
            I worked on My Blood in a Bug.
            I washed another six-board section of the west side of my kitchen floor. I’m working my way north and in another session I'll be at the beginning of the hallway leading to the door.
I had a ham, cheese and tomato sandwich for lunch.


A week or so ago I sent an email to Safia my TA with a link to the 1927 amendment to the Indian Act which seems to me to make it clear that residential schools were not strictly mandatory. It says that all “Indian" children between 7 and 15 must attend a day school, an industrial school or a boarding school designated by the superintendent general.
She got back to me today and seemed to ignore my link as she just restated that residential schools were mandatory. I responded with the suggestion that she read my link and I also stated its main point. Her answer was that day schools were the same as residential schools except that the kids went home after school. I said if they weren’t residences they couldn’t be residential and if kids could go home every day they went home to their culture and so obviously they were not the same thing. She finally said she didn’t have the desire or time to debate with me and just reasserted her claim that residential schools were mandatory. I have never come across such a pig headed instructor in my entire university career. For her information seems to be dogma and she doesn’t need to back it up. Indigenous Studies is supposed to be a Social Science and therefore part of the scientific study of human society and social relationships. Where is the science if we ignore the facts?
I searched for the matching computer recording to the video I shot of my rehearsal on August 5, 2017 but I had neglected to date it. There was one marked Recording 10 that had "a date modified" about a month later. August 5 was the last rehearsal recording I'd made and so I guessed that this might be the right one. I had to listen to both the video and the recording back and forth. The fact that I’d spent three minutes tuning after the song on both recordings clinched it. I changed the name of the file so I wouldn't make the same mistake again.
In the afternoon I did my exercises while listening to Amos and Andy. In this story Sapphire's brother Leroy is staying with her and Kingfish and Kingfish doesn't like it. She argues that her and Leroy have always been close and it’s like he’s a part of her. Kingfish says, “I hope it doesn’t hurt your part when I kick him out of the house!” Kingfish tells her, "I'm going to go to the lodge to take a nap and then I’ll be spending the afternoon shooting pool. When I get home tonight I don’t want to see no bum in my house!” Kingfish tries to get Leroy to leave by pretending he has the bubonic plague but Leroy informs the board of health and Kingfish is forced to go to the hospital for three days to take tests. Sapphire wants to write about their problem to the relationship columnist Lena Dixon. Kingfish gets an idea and so he agrees to follow whatever advice Dixon gives. He goes to the newspaper mailroom and intercepts her letter. Then he replaces it with his own declaring that Leroy is a psychopath. Two days later the answer comes in Dixon’s column that they should let the poor man stay with them so they can take care of him. Kingfish storms out the door and then we find out that Sapphire is really Lena Dixon.
I went out to the liquor store to buy a six-pack of Creemore. An old man with a cane slowly hobbled out into traffic against the red light. Someone that called him Max came up and helped him finish his walk.
Outside the store a panhandler said, “That case looks pretty heavy but I’m a lawyer and I’ll take it!”
I had an egg, toast and a beer for dinner while watching Zorro.
In this story Don Diego is still trying to figure out what happened to the stolen jewels from South America and he looks for them again at the tannery. Meanwhile young Pogo, working for his sister Dolores’s delivery service brings another crate of boots to the Murietta brothers. They accompany him to the tannery. When Bernardo warns him they are coming he leaves and notifies Sgt Garcia that the tannery has been broken into. Garcia goes to investigate. As the Muriettas are carrying the crate of boots into the tannery it slips and breaks open to reveal the jewels in the false bottom. Pogo promises not to tell but they bind and gag him just as Garcia arrives. They have covered the jewels and are evasive but he is smart enough to figure out that something is fishy. Suddenly he sees some of the jewels peeking out through the blanket, The Muriettas draw their swords on Garcia just as Zorro arrives. They each sword fight with one of the Muriettas. Garcia is about to back up and slip into the well when Pogo gets free and warns him. He steps aside just as Pedro Murietta lunges and tumbles down the well. Maybe he grabs Pogo’s pant leg as he falls because Pogo falls as well but catches himself on the bag of gems that had been hanging from a rope halfway down. Garcia pulls him up. Carlos pulls a gun and takes the bag of jewels. Zorro rides after him and catches him, leaving him tied up by the road where Garcia captures him and is hailed as a hero. 

No comments:

Post a Comment