Tuesday 31 December 2019

Levity in a Dark Alley




            On Monday morning I deleted my first attempt to post my translation of “Le complainte du progress” by Boris Vian on my blog because text was appearing in different font sizes that I couldn’t correct. Instead I pasted the whole thing again directly into the HTML so it just appeared as a big block of text with no indents and no italics. Now I can just make all the changes I need from scratch without having to deal with it looking differently than I want.
            I finished copying down the lyrics to “Bébé Gai” by Serge Gainsbourg and I'll start working on a translation Tuesday morning.
            I worked on my journal.
            This was the first day in a few in which the morning didn’t get away from me. I had time to wash the section of the kitchen floor in the hallway from the beginning of the big shelf at the southwest corner of the room. In the next few days I’ll probably have time to pull the shelf out into the second floor hallway and wash the floor in the area where it stands.



While taking pictures of my progress I dropped my camera and the batteries fell out but it seemed to be still functional when I put them back in.
            I threw out the rest of the sausage dressing because I think it had the same contamination as the turkey I’d used it to stuff. I also poured boiling water on the container in which I’d stored it.
            I had tuna with salsa and chips for lunch.
            In the afternoon I did my exercises while listening to Amos and Andy. In this story Kingfish becomes haunted by the voice of his conscience for all the scams he has run over the years. He swears he is going to change. To prove it he takes a worthless stock certificate that he’d acquired a few years ago and throws it in the garbage. Normally he would try to sell it to Andy. But then Andy comes to ask Kingfish if he knows any stock he can buy. Kingfish runs into a dark closet and asks his conscience to tell him not to cheat Andy. Since it says nothing he goes ahead and sells the defunct Alaskan Cannery stock to him. Then to avoid paying Andy back he tells him that the cannery went out of business because whales at all the salmon and then all the rivers turned to desert. Then he tells Andy that he went to the government and got officially declared a pauper, with paper papers and a pauper badge and now he is allowed to stand in any breadline in New York and bring guests along too. But then Kingfish’s conscience attacks him again and he writes Andy a cheque for the $150 he's paid him for the stock. But the cheque is bad.
            I worked on my poem series, “My Blood in a Bug”.
I thawed the four lamb chops that I’d bought on the Saturday before Christmas and had one with three small potatoes, a sautéed yellow pepper and some gravy while watching Joker. I don’t want to give too much away in this review because it’s full of surprises and I recommend that people see it.
This story gets so much into the core of what could possibly make someone like the Joker tick that even if there is no sequel it can’t help but inform how The Joker will be portrayed in the future. It shows a childhood of abuse, a psychologically damaged young man in a dependent relationship with his mentally ill mother. One particularly interesting element is that Arthur has a condition that causes him to laugh hysterically for no apparent reason and he carries a card that he hands to people to explain it to them when he loses control. Arthur aspires to be a stand-up comedian but he’s the only one that thinks he’s funny. He lives in a poor and violent neighbourhood. He has a job as a clown but gets attacked by bullies.
This film is very much about the division between rich and poor. The villain of the story is Thomas Wayne, the wealthy father of the boy that will grow up to become Batman. Three young executives of Wayne Enterprises are drunk on the subway and when they hear Arthur laughing they begin to beat him up. Arthur pulls a gun and kills them all. All that is known is that it was a clown that killed the privileged men and he becomes a symbol of revolution.
Another compelling idea is Arthur’s mother’s claim that Arthur is actually Thomas Wayne’s illegitimate son and that she and Wayne had been lovers when she’d worked for him as a servant. She was dismissed and committed and Wayne claims she’s delusional, but there is still a possibility that it’s true, which would render the relationship between Joker and Batman far more interesting than it ever was before.
Arthur is filmed performing at a stand-up open mic and laughing so uncontrollably that he can barely tell his jokes. One ironically funny line is when he tells the audience, “When I told people I wanted to be a comedian they all laughed at me. Well, nobody’s laughing now!”
The film clip gets the attention of Arthur’s idol, old style late night talk show host, Murray Franklin. He invites Arthur on his show, basically to make fun of him. Arthur becomes increasingly more violent as the night of his TV debut approaches. I won’t reveal what happens next other than that chaos ensues and the Joker becomes the messiah of bedlam.
This movie is extremely intense and disturbing because we find ourselves identifying with a psychopath. I would be shocked if Joaquin Phoenix doesn’t sweep all the major acting awards for his performance as The Joker. I give it an A and highly recommend it.
            I’m done watching all the movies I wanted to watch from 2018 and 2019.

No comments:

Post a Comment