Saturday 21 December 2019

Warmer Corner



            On Friday morning I tried to write down the lyrics to “Docteur Faust” by Serge Gainsbourg while listening to Jane Birkin sing it. It’s so much easier to understand French in text than in audio. I could only get bits and pieces. I'll try again on Saturday.
            I worked on my poem series “My Blood in a Bug” but I got incredibly sleepy. I really felt like throwing myself down on my futon and conking out but that would have thrown my day off. I forced myself to stay awake but abandoned doing any writing.
            I finally finished washing the north side of my bedroom floor when I scrubbed the dirt and scraped the paint and plaster from the five boards in front of the door at the north end of the room.
            I had a can of curried organic sweet potato soup with potato chips for lunch.
            In the afternoon I did my exercises while listening to Amos and Andy. This story begins with Kingfish having working as a real estate broker for a week but hasn’t been able to sell a house. He hears about an area where the government is putting in a highway and is giving the houses on the land away to anyone that can move them. Kingfish plots to sell one of the houses to Andy for $500 without telling him that there is no lot. He tells him that the United Nations is moving to Harlem and that the iron curtain is going to be running right through the middle of his room. When Andy finds out he wants to punch Kingfish in the nose but Kingfish tells him he has a lot for him twenty kilometres away. The only problem is that the lot is two metres smaller than the house. Kingfish says he’ll buy three more metres to expand the lot but it’ll still cost Andy $350 to move the house. Andy refuses to pay and says he’ll sue Kingfish. Kingfish goes to Stonewall the lawyer who suggests that he get the house declared a historical monument so the government will move it for nothing. Kingfish says the house is too young. Stonewall says he has to put this in the spirit of legal jurisprudence. The procedure that must be followed is the old principle of “veritas omni ipso facto.” Kingfish asks what that means and Stonewall says, “Lie like a fool man!” Kingfish later finds out that the highway is being diverted twenty-three metres from the property and so the house doesn’t have to be moved after all. Kingfish decides to not tell Andy about that and to offer to buy it back from him because he has the ideas of opening a gas station beside the highway. Andy takes the deal but then Kingfish finds out the redirection of the highway would be twenty-three metres above the house.
            I worked on editing the video of my rehearsal of “Andalouse” from September 20, 2017. I shaved a little off the mic audio to make the echo less extreme and trimmed the beginning to fade in. I trimmed the end but will probably cut a little more off and then make it fade to black.
            I had three small potatoes, the last of my roast beef and some gravy while watching an episode of Racket Squad. This story begins with soon to be married couple Johnny and Sue out on the highway in the car that Johnny bought that day. The brakes fail and they slam into a truck. Both Johnny and Sue are in the hospital with Johnny a little more beaten up than Sue but he’ll make a full recovery. The cop that takes down their information finds it odd that they’d bought the car that day and so he calls Captain Braddock of the racket squad. When he interviews Johnny and Sue he learns that a mechanic had tried to dissuade them from buying the car but a salesman had intervened, sent him back to the garage and convinced them that it was a honey. The same mechanic comes to the hospital to inquire if the couple are all right and Braddock learns the story of the car. He says that his boss Danny got it for $50 at a junk yard and had Pete make it run and fix it so it looked new. Danny wouldn’t pay for details like new brakes and so Pete had to tape them. He also turned back the mileage so it didn’t show 130,000 kilometres. Danny and the salesman get busted and Pete gets a job as a police mechanic.

No comments:

Post a Comment