Friday 13 December 2019

Make Sure Your Correctness is Accurate!


            On Thursday morning I finished working out the chords to the first part of “La complainte du progrès” by Boris Vian. I think the rest basically repeats the same chords.
            I also completed chord construction for “L’hippopodame” by Serge Gainsbourg.
            I worked on developing my bedbug diary, “My Blood in a Bug” into a poem sequence.
            At noon I got ready to go downtown to meet my friend Brian at the Black Bull and left around 12:30.
            I’d initially invited Brian to my place, since her hasn’t been there in more than fifteen years, since the first time my place had bedbugs. It’s been over four and a half years now since I’ve seen a bedbug. His excuse this time for not coming was that in the winter he doesn’t like to go places that he has to get to by bus or streetcar. To get to the Black Bull he said he just has to walk from the subway.
            I got there before Brian and at first I picked the booth in the southwest corner. I sat down in the seat facing the bar so Brian could have the window view. But the cushioning under the vinyl seat was thin and my ass went down to the springs. I was just moving my stuff one booth north when Brian arrived. Over the next four hours we each had two pints of Creemore. He had sweet potato fries and I had regular fries. The Black Bull is Kind of cheaping out these days and serving food in disposable paper bowls.
            Brian is composing a wind quartet on his computer and when it’s done he hopes to shop the music around to live groups to play. He’ll also put the electronic version up on Soundcloud.
            We talked about work, my projects and school and me getting banned from Shab-e She’r. He thought that both the ban and my difficulties with my teaching assistant for Indigenous Studies are examples of political correctness gone haywire. I’m all for things being politically correct but not if the meaning of "correct" deviates from its meaning of “accurate".
            Brian paid for the beer and the food. I think I paid the last time we got together, which was at least a year and a half ago. It tends to be that I have to initiate our meetings. He says it’s not that he doesn’t want to get together but he gets caught up in himself and the social things don’t happen.
            We talked about me recently having listened to both the Jethro Tull and Yes discographies because he’s a big fan of both bands.
            Our only disagreements were about Star Trek Discovery and Jodie Whitaker as the Doctor in Doctor. He thinks the writing on Discovery is not very good and that although he thinks Whitaker is a good actor he thinks she’s very stiff as the Doctor.
            Since I was downtown already I wanted to kill as many errand birds as I could, so after saying goodbye to Brian I headed down to St Lawrence Market. In the basement I took my usual trip to Domino Foods.
            Upstairs I got a dozen sesame seed bagels and eight hot pepperoni sticks.
            On the way home I stopped on Queen to buy a couple of things for Astrid. I had one heavily made up and exuberant salesperson on me as soon as I walked in. Once I’d found the table with the things I wanted another person came to make suggestions and then later another as I walked around looking. I bought something called Black Rose and another named Shoot for the Stars.
            Closer to home I went to Freshco where I bought a couple of bags of black seedless grapes, another of red globe grapes, which have seeds but they were too cheap to pass up. I got two half pints of raspberries and another half pint of blueberries. I also grabbed a loaf of cinnamon bread and a sirloin tip roast.
            When I got home there was a message from Nick Cushing that he was in town. I let him know that I was home and five minutes later he was I knew he was coming over that evening but I’d hoped I’d have time to degrunge my bathroom before he got there. I excused myself while he was settling down at the kitchen table and I did a quick clean of the toilet and the sink.
            Nick brought us each a can of a Polish beer called Okocim, which has more alcohol than most beers. With the two pints I'd had earlier and this gift from Nick, I hadn't drank so much in a long time. I didn't feel overwhelmed but it just seemed like a lot.
            Nick also brought me a belt sander with some extra sandpaper and a can of wipe-on poly, which he said I could use to protect my wood floors.
            We talked about his new job delivering chicken and how he’s traded in his van for a little Toyota.
            It was interesting that in conversation with Nick, as with Brian earlier that day, my situation of getting banned from Shab-e She’r and my frustrations with communicating about residential schools with my TA, also came up and both Nick and Brian expressed similar views on the matter.
            After Nick left I started making dinner and had three small potatoes, two chicken drumsticks and some gravy while watching Zorro.
            This story begins with Don Diego learning that Jose Varga, the new administrator for Southern California is coming to Los Angeles and he is using his authority to requisition Diego’s father’s house. At first Diego is angry but decides to play it cool in order to find out what’s really going on. Varga arrives and we recognize him as the Eagle from a previous episode, but Diego doesn’t know this. Varga tells him it is within his authority to fully take possession of Don Alejandro’s property but for now he will be generous and allow Diego and his father to live there. Utilizing the secret passages in the house, Diego grabs a satchel that Varga has left unattended. In it he finds several yet to be cut eagle feathers. He realizes that Varga is an agent of the Eagle. Varga and his secretary Greco are searching the house for secret passages and under a stone in the mantle find a box containing a list of men that have signed up to form a militia to fight the oppressive forces that threaten Los Angeles. Zorro suddenly arrives and warns them that if they read a single name he will kill them. He ties them up and then the soldiers discover that Zorro is there. He fights them until he escapes through a secret passage. The soldiers hear Don Diego calling for help and they see Zorro is riding away. Really it’s Bernardo dressed as Zorro. Later Diego finds an unposted latter from the Eagle and realizes that if it hasn’t left his house then Varga must be the Eagle.
            Perhaps because of a combination of not having had a siesta earlier that day, the riding my bike all around downtown and having drank three beers, I felt very tired and went to bed an hour and a half early. 

No comments:

Post a Comment