Sunday 7 January 2024

Gordon Connell


            On Saturday morning I uploaded “La vie grise” (The Grey Life) by Boris Vian to my Christian’s Translations blog and start preparing it for publication. 
            I memorized the chorus of “Shotgun” by Serge Gainsbourg. 
            I played my Martin acoustic guitar during song practice for the first of two sessions and it went out of tune a lot.
            I weighed 85.8 kilos before breakfast, which is the lightest I’ve been in the morning since last Saturday. 
            Around midday I rode down to No Frills where all the grapes were too soft. If I run out next week I’ll pop by Freshco and get some more. I bought a pack of lean ground beef, a pack of pork chops, an apple cinnamon pie, a double chocolate cream pie, three bags of skim milk, and a container of skyr. I forgot to buy cereal and will probably run out on Sunday and so that’s another reason to stop at Freshco on Tuesday. When I got home I went back out to buy a six-pack of Creemore. 
            I weighed 86.3 kilos before lunch. I had Triscuits with five-year-old cheddar and a glass of half calamansi lemonade and half pomegranate juice. 
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride downtown and back. 
            I weighed 85.6 kilos at 17:30. 
            I was caught up on my journal at 18:15. 
            I reviewed the videos of my performances of “Joanna” and “Joanna Dances Lightly” from September 4 to 11. On September 8 the camera battery went to sleep before I got to “Joanna”. On September 9 I broke a string on the Kramer electric guitar and had to play the Fibson. It didn’t sound good. On September 4 I played “Joanna” on the Kramer and the take at the beginning of part B was one of the best that I’d played with the electric and it also looked good. On September 5 I played “Joanna Dances Lightly” on the Kramer and the take at 1:15 in part B was pretty good. On September 6 and 10 I played “Joanna” on my Martin acoustic guitar. On September 6 the take at the beginning of part B was pretty good. This is in Movie Maker. On September 10 the take at 25:00 was pretty good but the light wasn’t great. On September 7 and 11 I played “Joanna Dances Lightly” on the Martin. On September 7 the take at 1:15 in part B was pretty good. On September 11 the take at 22:15 was pretty good and looked great. This is in Movie Maker. 
            I downloaded the clip from the 1949 adaptation of Alice in Wonderland. But for some reason Total Video Converter wouldn’t convert it to WMV or AVI. I had to upload it to Cloudconvert and it didn’t take long to convert it but because of a bad internet connection it took about half an hour to download the converted file. 
            I made ground beef patties and grilled them in the oven. I had one between two halves of a piece of flatbread with chili sauce, Dijon, salsa, hot sauce, horseradish and two slices of dill pickle. I ate dinner with a beer while watching season 6, episodes 16 and 17 of Green Acres. 
            In the first story Lisa’s uncle sends her a live duck named Drobney. Drobney is the son of a war hero who carried an important message to General De Gaulle. Drobney is wearing the medal that his father was awarded. Lisa tells another story of fighting the Nazis with the Hungarian resistance. Meanwhile the Hooterville chamber of commerce is trying to think of a way to drum up business when Eb tells them about the war hero at the Douglas house. He doesn’t mention that Drobney is a duck and so they plan a big event in honour of Drobney. Oliver tries to warn them that Drobney is a duck but they just think he’s insulting a war hero. The lieutenant governor is about to arrive when they all see Drobney for the first time and now they don’t know what to do. But the lieutenant governor knew Drobney’s father and is honoured to meet him. 
            One of the Hungarian freedom fighters was played by Gordon Connell. He met his future wife Jane Connell when he played piano for a college play she was in. They married in 1948 and formed a musical comedy duo. They performed in night clubs in San Francisco, in theatre and on the radio. He made his Broadway debut in 1961 in Subways are for Sleeping. His only movie appearance was a small part in Rosemary’s Baby. He was also a writer of cabaret songs and penned the score for the hit musical Bertha the Sewing Machine Girl
            In the second story Eb announces that he and Darleen are getting married in two weeks but they still haven’t settled on the place to have the ceremony. Haney offers Eb the deal of getting a lot of free stuff if they have the wedding at the local carwash. Darleen says she wants to get married in a church. Then Haney arranges for more free stuff if they get married on television in a department store window. Darleen doesn’t want that either. At first Eb thinks that he could just get married alone and Darleen could watch it on TV. Since Eb has already signed a contract he will be sued if he backs out. But the department store will accept any couple performing the stunt and so Oliver and Lisa agree to get married again.

No comments:

Post a Comment