Wednesday 3 January 2024

January 3, 1993: Tom seemed fascinated by what I’d told him about Angeline


Thirty years ago today

            On Monday morning I worked at Northern Secondary School and then went down to the Ontario College of Art. Connie passed on that day’s job to someone else but gave me some other bookings, although not enough. I went to the models’ lounge and made some calls, then headed for Tom Smarda’s place to rehearse for the El Mocambo competition. He remembered all the songs we’d done before and that gave me the confidence to introduce a new one. I gave him the choices of “Angeline”, “Patterns on a Veil”, or “Thin Red Line”. He picked “Angeline” because he seemed somewhat fascinated by what I’d told him about her. We worked until around 19:00 and came up with the beginnings of an arrangement on his acoustic guitar.

No comments:

Post a Comment