Friday 12 April 2024

April 12, 1994: I performed my cockroach poem


Thirty years ago today

            On Tuesday evening I posed for the Don Valley Art Club. They gave me the negatives and some prints of the photographs they took several weeks before that of my daughter and I. I got a ride directly to the Gladstone Hotel so I would be on time to set up the Art bar for my Orgasmic Alphabet Orgy weekly writers open stage. There were a record eleven people there this time and I performed my cockroach poem: 

Insect Angels

Trace the paths of roaches
in their errands every day 
and see the portrait
of god the pattern shapes 

As above so below
the true form of human souls 
not lava lamp or globe 
but more like a cockroach 

There's no feathers on angels 
They flit with the wings of insects 
made of translucent stained glass windows 
for the bug god they protect 

When you drown your roaches 
you'll see vestigial wings 
It's this holy baptism 
that brings angels into being 

So dip your pens in roach guts 
when you write your daily prayer 
their envelopes will only fly 
when STAMPED 
with proper fare

No comments:

Post a Comment