Wednesday 24 April 2024

Virginia Martin


            On Tuesday morning I memorized the fourth verse of “J'ai pleuré le Yang-Tsé” (My Tears Flood the Yangtze) by Serge Gainsbourg. There is one verse left to nail down and I should have that done on Wednesday. 
            I played my Martin acoustic guitar during song practice for the third session of four. 
            I weighed 87.3 kilos before breakfast. 
            Today was laundry day but I’d forgotten to look for Sunlight lemon detergent when I was at Freshco on Thursday. They never have it at No Frills. I walked over to Fullworth but they didn’t have it there either. I walked west on Queen and stopped at several places. Shoppers Drug Mart had the orange and the apple sunlight but not the lemon. The orange smells like someone puked after drinking too much Orange Crush. I walked back east past my place to the hardware store. They had a section on the shelf in the back with the label “lemon Sunlight” but that area was empty. I guess it’s popular. I went home and got my bike and rode it down to Freshco where they had no Sunlight whatsoever of any kind. I had no choice but to buy lemon Dawn Ultra instead. I was much later than usual finishing my laundry because of all this running around. I usually take a whole hour for lunch and read the news but this time I only took about fifteen minutes. 
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride downtown and back. 
            I weighed 86.6 kilos at 17:30.
            I was caught up on my journal at 18:15. 
            In the Movie Maker project for my September 6 song practice I copied it and named it “Joanna (acoustic)”. “Joanna” is in part B of that session and so I deleted the audio and video timelines for Part A. Then I needed to re-synchronize the audio with the video because there’s more of a pause in the video as it shuts down and I have to start it again while the Audacity audio recording keeps going. I got them in synch and isolated the song. I added a fade to black effect and adjusted the audio levels so there’s a bit of the audio from the camera microphone to warm it up. Tomorrow I’ll add a visual effect before uploading it to YouTube. 
            In the Movie Maker project for my song “Angeline” I added the video clip of Greta Garbo standing in the doorway of the bar and looking around the room in Anna Christie, to correspond with my line, “You weren’t quite what I was looking for”. Then I cut and synchronized the concert video of the Christian and the Lions performance at the 360 Club on June 3, 1998 so it lined up with the studio audio of me singing “though I’d been looking hard and long”. I also switched that part to grey scale so it’s not too drastic a transition from the much darker Riot Gallery concert video. Tomorrow I’ll try also adding an old film aging effect to see how that looks. 
            I scanned the first few slides from the fourth to the last box. The mounts for the slides in this box are very difficult to open and it’s even harder to close them once the slides are back inside. I guess back in the 90s I had the idea that I was going to get a slide projector, otherwise the mounting is meaningless. A couple of the slides I scanned are overexposed; one is of an interesting juxtaposition of buildings and another is a wedding photo. I assume the wedding is that of my niece Kelly in the summer of 1991 in Peterborough. The shot is from a distance but it seems to show Kelly, her groom and my brother Allison posing together for another photographer.
            I had a potato with gravy and the last of the stewing beef while watching season 1, episodes 15 and 16 of Bewitched. 
            The first story is a Christmas episode. Samantha and Darrin go to the local orphanage as part of a program in which married couples temporarily adopt orphans over Christmas. Gladys and Abner Kravitz have signed up to do the same and they arrive first to meet their charge, the sweet tempered Tommy. But Tommy gets into a argument with a boy named Michael who is very cynical about Christmas and tells Tommy there is no Santa Clause. They both end up fighting and the director breaks the tussle up. Michael is sitting by himself when Samantha and Darrin arrive and it turns out he is the boy they are scheduled to take home. Darrin is told that Michael is a problem child and he suggests to Samantha that they pick someone else but Samantha feels Michael needs them and she convinces Darrin to take Michael home. That night Darrin dresses up as Santa but Michael is not impressed. Finally Samantha offers to take Michael to meet the real Santa Clause at the North Pole. Of course he doesn’t believe she could do that and so she has to prove to Michael that she is a witch. After Darrin walks in, Samantha invites Darrin to come with them. So off they all fly on Samantha’s broomstick to Santa’s workshop. There we see that Samantha and Santa are old friends. Michael is convinced there is a Santa Clause, especially after he and Santa have a chat about the spirit of giving. In the wee hours Darrin wakes up at home with Michael sleeping on his lap. Darrin thinks it was all a dream. The next day Michael brings Tommy a toy fire truck and they become friends. Then the director of the orphanage comes by with the Johnson couple who are interested in adopting Michael. Michael gives Mr. Johnson a tool box and suggests they could build things together. 
            In the second story Samantha is appointed the entertainment chairman by the ladies of the hospital fundraising committee. They always appoint the newest member as no one who’s ever done it before wants to do it again because of the very limited budget. The waiter in the restaurant where the meeting took place gives Samantha the address of a magician. Samantha arrives at the Great Zeno’s room just as Roxy, his assistant is leaving him. Zeno has an obvious drinking problem but Samantha hires him anyway and gives him his $50 in advance. That would be about $500 today so that’s not bad. Samantha wants to keep Zeno sober and so she causes him to think that he is hallucinating. Goldfish appear in his glass and a big parrot shows up near his sink. Zeno dumps his booze down the drain. The night of the show Zeno is too nervous to go on without an assistant and so Samantha agrees to accompany him on stage. He fumbles his tricks and so she helps him out with some real magic. The show is a success and it leads to Zeno being offered a chance to perform his act on TV. Samantha tells him she won’t assist him but she will come down for moral support. Meanwhile Roxy returns because she wants to cash in on Zeno’s newfound success. She tries to make herself the star of the show but Samantha makes her disappear, making it look like it’s part of Zeno’s act. Samantha has built Zeno’s confidence and so now he starts to successfully do his own tricks. 
            Roxy was played by Virginia Martin, who made her Broadway debut as Bessie Noonan in the original run of South Pacific. In 1961 she originated the role of Hedy Larue in the Broadway production of How To Succeed in Business Without Really Trying. She was nominated for a Tony Award in 1963 for her performance in Little Me. She also played Charmaine Leach on Bewitched.




No comments:

Post a Comment