Thursday 11 April 2024

David White


            On Wednesday morning I memorized the tenth verse of “Les frères” by Boris Vian. There are five verses to go. 
            I memorized the second verse of “Entre l'âme et l'amour” (Between Love and Spirit) by Serge Gainsbourg. That’s half the song so I’ll probably have it all nailed down by Friday. 
            I played my Kramer electric guitar during song practice for the second of two sessions. My Jazz Chorus amp isn’t behaving itself. I have to keep turning the guitar cable jack to keep it from making static and from kicking in too loud. After I hand in my final essay next week one of the many things I need to do sometime this spring is to take the amp to be repaired. 
            I weighed 86.8 kilos before breakfast. 
            I continued doing research for my final academic paper. 
            I weighed 86.4 kilos before lunch. I had a toasted slice of seven grain Bavarian sandwich bread with pumpkin seed butter and five-year-old cheddar with a glass of limeade.
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride downtown and back. I wore my hoody over my undershirt and that was a little too warm. I had planned on stopping at Freshco on the way home but I forgot. So I walked down to Queen Fresh Market and bought three bags of grapes. I squeeze tested several bags and took them out of the neat display before choosing the three I bought. Before serving me the woman who runs the store went and put the grapes back in order and didn't say hello to me when she came to check out my items. 
            I weighed 86.3 kilos at 17:15. 
            I was caught up on my journal at 18:00. 
            I continued to do research for my final paper: 
      
            "Oranges and Lemons" is a traditional English nursery rhyme, folksong, and singing game which refers to the bells of several churches, all within or close to the City of London. The earliest known printed version appeared c. 1744. 

Oranges and lemons, Say the bells of St. Clement's. 
You owe me five farthings, Say the bells of St. Martin's. 
When will you pay me? Say the bells at Old Bailey. 
When I grow rich, Say the bells at Shoreditch. 
When will that be? Say the bells of Stepney.
I do not know, Says the great bell at Bow. 

Here comes a candle to light you to bed, 
And here comes a chopper to chop off your head! 
Chip chop chip chop the last man is dead 

            The song is used in a children's singing game with the same name, in which the players file, in pairs, through an arch made by two of the players (made by having the players face each other, raise their arms over their head, and clasp their partners' hands). The challenge comes during the final lines beginning "Here comes a chopper to chop off your head"; and on the final repetition of "chop" in the last line, the children forming the arch drop their arms to catch the pair of children currently passing through. These are then "out" and must form another arch next to the existing one. In this way, the series of arches becomes a steadily lengthening tunnel through which each set of two players has to run faster and faster to escape in time. 
            Alternative versions of the game include: children caught "out" by the last rhyme may stand behind one of the children forming the original arch, instead of forming additional arches; and children forming "arches" may bring their hands down for each word of the last line, while the children passing through the arches run as fast as they can to avoid being caught on the last word. 
      
            I made pizza on naan with Bolognese sauce and five-year-old cheddar. I had it with a beer while watching season 1, episode 5 of Bewitched. 
            In this story Darrin has been working all night on a new advertizing campaign for the Cauldwell Soup account. He’s come up with three ads that are clever but not quite there. Samantha has some ideas for changes to each one that Darrin thinks are amazing and he’s sure they’ll cinch the account. But then he stops and thinks that she must have used magic to come up with the ideas. She says she didn’t but he doesn’t believe her. When he sees Cauldwell for lunch he only presents him with the ads he came up with, even though he knows he could save the account with what he thinks are Samantha’s magically derived ideas. Cauldwell walks and Darrin goes home disappointed. He again accuses Samantha of using magic even for the dinner she’d worked so hard preparing for him. She asks if he’s calling her a liar and he says, “If the shoe fits!” She immediately packs her things, meets her mother outside and they disappear together. The next day Darrin is extremely depressed at work. He shows his boss Larry Tate the ads that Samantha came up with and he thinks they are terrific. He calls Cauldwell to come and see them but Cauldwell doesn’t like those either. He doesn’t think they have sex appeal. Darrin is overjoyed to hear this because it means the ads are not enchanted. He immediately goes home to call out for Samantha to come back and she does. As they make up Samantha says, “It seems ridiculous that a can of soup could come between us.” Suddenly that gives Darrin an idea that he says will save the account. He rushes off to meet Cauldwell, leaving Samantha alone. Then Endora appears and asks her what Darrin would say if he knew Samantha had given him a hint. She says she inspired it and he found it and that’s the way it should be. She says, “All you can ask of anyone is to take a little and make it go a long long way”. The final billboard shows a couple sitting at a table and staring romantically at one another with Cauldwell’s soup in the middle and with the caption, “The only thing that will ever come between us”. 
            Larry Tate was played by David White, who began as a stage actor at the Pasadena Playhouse and made his Broadway debut in Leaf and Bough in 1949. He co-starred in The Apartment. Next to Elizabeth Montgomery he appeared in more episodes of Bewitched than any other actor. That of course was due to the fact that the series had to change Darrins halfway through after Dick York left due to his bad back. He played J. Jonah Jameson in the pilot episode of the Spiderman TV series. His son was one of the passengers of Pan Am flight 103 that blew up in a terrorist bombing over Lockerbie, Scotland in 1988.



No comments:

Post a Comment