Thursday, 1 October 2026

Paul Newman


            On Sunday after midnight I added fresh carpet tape to parts of the edge of my mattress where it had gotten less sticky. I lint rolled the curtains between the bedroom and the living room and picked up some bedbugs but fewer than usual. I lint rolled the top of my bed and there were a couple of babies, then the pillow. I shook out my top sheet and my comforter on the deck. I went to bed around 1:40 and woke up to pee at 3:03. I felt and killed some bedbugs then slept a little more until the 5:00 alarm. After yoga I found a few bedbugs stuck to the carpet tape at the head of my mattress. 
            I consolidated my memorization of the first two verses of “Elle voulait toucher du pognon” (She Wanted Change for the Toilet) by Boris Vian. 
            I worked out all the chords for the chorus of “La fille aux claquettes” (The Tap Dancing Girl) by Serge Gainsbourg except for the little instrumental bit after the final line. I’ll have that done on Monday and then the pattern of the song should be established. 
            I weighed 90.85 kilos before breakfast. 
            I played my Martin during song practice for the last of four sessions and it went out of tune all the time. 
            I lint rolled the curtains between the bedroom and the living room and picked up a cluster of bedbugs attempting to form a nest. 
            I removed the boards from the upper storage shelf in my bedroom. I put the ones with collages on them and the ones that are part of furniture in the kitchen and threw out a few that I hadn’t been keeping for any good reason. 
            I weighed 91.85 kilos before lunch. I had peanut butter and five-year-old cheddar on saltines with a glass of lemonade. 
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride downtown and back. 
            I weighed 91.5 kilos at 18:00. 
            I was still three days behind in my journal and worked on catching up. 
            I made pizza on a slice of 7 grain sandwich bread with marinara, tomato pesto, a chopped slice of ham, and five-year-old cheddar. I had it with a glass of Creemore lager while watching This Time Together a cast reunion of The Carol Burnett Show from 2012. 
            Carol once gave the cast a lecture before the family sketch telling them she wanted some discipline and for people to stop cracking up. That was just before the time in the Family sketch when Tim was playing Mickey Hart and telling the story of the Siamese elephants joined at the trunks. Carol was the first one to crack up. 
             Lyle thinks Tim’s future wife Charlene had a lot to do with him getting hired because he heard that Joe the producer asked her what she thought. 
            Vicki says when the writers of the Family sketch heard Carol, Vicki, and Harvey doing the characters in a southern US accent they walked out of the room because they were so upset. They eventually liked the accents. Carol started asking them for more Family sketches and one could hear them both typing like crazy from their office and yelling at each other. Vicki says the echo in the women’s washroom was great for rehearsing character voices. 
            The time that Joanne Woodward was a guest on the show her husband Paul Newman was in the booth. Later they went for Chinese food and Paul taught Carol how to use chopsticks. 
            Carol says Desi Arnaz invented the three camera thing for sitcoms. 
            Tim says he didn’t really want to be in the business but The Carol Burnett Show was so comfortable that he changed his mind.
            Lyle says he was getting gas one time when he noticed another guy looking at him. The guy came over and asked if he was an actor and Lyle confirmed he was. He asked for his autograph and Lyle gave it to him but when he read, “Lyle Waggoner?” he said, “Never heard of you!” then he handed it back and drove away. 
            Carol says a guy walking with his wife in New York stopped her once and asked, “Aren’t you that girl on The Garry Moore Show?” Carol told him she was and he said to his wife, “Hey May, she ain’t such a dog!” 
            Vicki says once when she and Carol were in Hawaii they went to the washroom and somebody passed their autograph book to Carol under the stall to ask for her autograph. 
            Vicki says when they flew to shoot the show in Australia and the plane landed, Tim was rolling down the aisle, bumping into seats and going, “Ow! Yipes! Whoa!” until he bumped against the pilot’s door at the front. Then he stood up and he was wearing his sleep mask like a bra. Then he said, “Wow! Rough landing!” and walked back to his seat. 
            Carol says when they were in Australia she and her husband Joe were going to take Tim to dinner. When they knocked on his room to pick him up he shouted, “It’s open! C’mon in!” They found him in bed with a life sized toy sheep while smoking a cigarette. 
            One time in Hawaii they were dining in their hotel restaurant that had a palm tree that went up through the ceiling. Tim said he was going to his room, then just climbed the palm tree and disappeared.
            Paul Newman came from a well off family in Shaker Heights, Ohio. He acted in plays in grade school and high school. He got kicked out of Ohio University for denting the college president’s car with a beer keg. He later attended the Yale University School of Drama, paying his tuition by selling encyclopaedias, which he was a very good at. He made his TV debut in 1952 in Tales of Tomorrow. He made his Broadway debut in 1953 when he was an understudy for the lead in the play Picnic. His future wife Joanne Woodward was also an understudy in the same play. He was accepted without auditioning into The Actors Studio. He starred in Somebody Up There Likes Me, The Left Handed Gun, The Rack, The Long Hot Summer (for which he won Best Actor at Cannes), Harper, Hombre, The Secret War of Harry Frigg, Sweet Bird of Youth, Rally Round the Flag Boys, From the Terrace, Paris Blues, A New Kind of Love, Winning, WUSA, The Drowning Pool, Harry and Son (which he also directed), Mr. and Mrs. Bridge, The Hustler, Hud, Cool Hand Luke, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Sting, The Towering Inferno, The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean, Slap Shot (his favourite), Sometimes a Great Notion (which he also directed), The Verdict, The Colour of Money (for which he finally won an Oscar), Absence of Malice, Nobody’s Fool, When Time Ran Out, Twilight, Blaze, Pocket Money, Exodus, The Young Philadelphians, Torn Curtain, and Fort Apache the Bronx. He co-starred in Until They Sail, The Helen Morgan Story, Cat On a Hot Tim Roof (for which he was Oscar nominated), The Hudsucker Proxy, and Cars. He made his directorial debut with Rachel Rachel in 1968. He directed The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man In The Moon Marigolds and The Glass Menagerie. He was a civil rights, women’s rights, gay rights, gun control, and anti war activist. He was a passionate race car driver. His Newman’s Own salad dressing business raised $600 million for charity. He founded the Hole in the Wall Gang Camp for children with serious illnesses. He was a skilled blues and jazz piano player. He was on Richard Nixon’s Enemies list. He trained to be a pilot in the US Navy but was rejected because he was colour blind. He was the model for the silver age superhero Green Lantern in 1959. He said he signed over 500 autographs as Marlon Brando. He was nominated for ten Academy Awards. He was the principle shareholder of the periodical The Nation and sometimes wrote for it.





No comments:

Post a Comment