Monday 28 November 2016

Don't Let Your Guitar Dry Out



            Even though I needed time at home to start a Philosophy essay on Sunday, November 20th, there was no avoiding doing laundry. I rode through the first snow of the season to the Laundromat.
            At the end of the day I still hadn’t gotten around to starting the essay, though I had rolled around a few ideas in my head.
            For the last couple of years I’ve kept my guitar in the living room, which is the hottest part of my apartment, and so to counter the dryness, whenever my hydrometer droops below 45, I stick a homemade humidifier made of damp sponges in a perforated baggie, into the sound hole of my guitar, to keep the instrument from drying out. The reason I’d originally started putting my guitar in the living room was because I had bedbugs in the bedroom. But it’s been a year now since my place stopped being infested and it suddenly dawned on me that I could actually move my six-string back into the bedroom. Judging by the hydrometer, which I’ve also moved into the bedroom, the moisture level is pretty much perfect in there for my guitar and so I don’t need to humidify it very much, if at all.
            I watched the fourth episode of Johnny Staccato. The show is certainly nice to look at in terms of the photography and nice to listen to, as the musicians that perform as background are outstanding. A beatnik café was portrayed very authentically without a lot of the over the topic comic effect parody that usually happened in television show depictions of beatniks in the late 50s. The writing for the show after four episodes is still thin and the dialogue continues to be clichéd.

No comments:

Post a Comment