Sunday 6 November 2016

Strange Stuffing



            On Sunday, October 9, the turkey that I’d bought on Friday was fully thawed in the fridge, so I had to cook it a day early. I wanted to make stuffing, but since I had no onions or celery, I had to improvise. There were two vegetables in the refrigerator that I’d been accumulating from the food bank, but hadn’t gotten around to cooking. I had five small eggplants and five chayotes, each the same size as baseballs. It seemed like an odd combination, plus either one of them didn’t seem like something that one would use to stuff a bird. When I looked up “eggplant”, “stuffing” and “turkey” there were some recipes for stuffing eggplants with turkey but none for stuffing turkey with eggplants. I did though find that there was a southwestern recipe for turkey stuffing that included cho-cho. There was also a recipe that combined chayote and eggplant, so I decided, “What the hell” and went for it. I peeled and chopped the chayotes and the eggplants and sautéed them in margarine, adding salt, paprika and sage. Then I added that to two kinds of bread that I’d torn up and put in a bowl. I stuffed the mixture in the turkey and roasted it for about three hours. It turned out fine.
            I started working on both my Canadian Poetry essay and my Philosophy of Art essays. For English I’m writing on decadence in Leonard Cohen’s, Michael Ondaatje’s and Susan Musgrave’s poetry.
            For Philosophy, I’m working on arguing on behalf of Arthur Danto’s hybrid theory of art.

No comments:

Post a Comment