Sunday 6 November 2016

Maggots!



            On the Saturday morning of October 8, when I went to do the dishes, I saw maggots all over the kitchen floor. I grabbed some toilet paper and started crushing them, but they seemed to appear out of nowhere. I have been so careful about not putting food in the garbage, so I wonder where they’ve come from. I think they were coming from between the floorboards.  I guess it’s possible that some cooking spillages hadn’t been properly cleaned up. There were at least twenty of the little things that wriggled on the floor like babies with their arms and legs bound in tight blankets. Finally I sucked them up with the vacuum cleaner and I didn’t see any more.
            There also may be fleas left over from when Jonquil was alive. It’s possible that, since there are no longer any cats, they are suddenly more interested in me.

            I watched an episode of I Love Lucy in which Lucy wants a dress by one of the top French designers but Ricky won’t spend the money. In protest, Lucy goes on a hunger strike. Ricky gives in out of sympathy and buys her the dress but then discovers that she’s been secretly hiding food around their hotel room, so he takes back the dress. Then he decides to play a trick on her to teach her a lesson. He and Fred get a tailor to turn two potato sacks into dresses and then put them in boxes that bear the famous designer’s logo. The girls think they have designer dresses and wear them proudly to lunch at a trendy café where the designer also happens to be. He leaves when he sees them. Once they find out they’ve been tricked they are embarrassed and angry and so their husbands agree to buy them real designer dresses. At the café though they see two women wearing the same style of burlap dresses because the designer had stolen the look.

No comments:

Post a Comment