Saturday 12 November 2016

Zeppelin Attack!



            On the Saturday morning of October 22nd I was back in New Brunswick, outside of the house I was raised in. My father said that we’d been warned of the threat of death rays from above. Then a mostly black zeppelin passed over us, but it was apparently flown by the good guys. A little later a beige coloured dirigible that was bejewelled with red flashing lights came into view. Suddenly there were explosive sounds coming from the ship and rockets began to rain down upon us. Luckily I know when to wake up.
            During guitar practice that morning my high “E” string broke. I had planned on not going anywhere that day but I couldn’t spend the whole weekend with only five strings, so around midday I rode up to Long and McQuade. I asked for a string that was a third of a millimetre in diameter but the guy behind the counter still asked, “What gauge?” I said, “0.33 millimetres” but he handed me the wrong thing. Finally I had to explain that I was talking metric. He suddenly understood and apologized. I bought three, since it’s the string that broke last time as well.
            Going to buy the string and coming home only took thirty-five minutes out of my day. I spent the rest of it working on my Aesthetics essay.
            I watched an episode of the George Burns and Gracie Allen show in which Gracie was at the telegraph office and saw a woman crumple up the telegram she had been writing to start again. After the woman left, Gracie picked up and uncrumpled her telegram to read, “I’ll be on the 5:30 train. I’m dying …”. Gracie was worried that since the message didn’t get sent that her husband wouldn’t find out that the woman was dying.


On Sunday, October 23rd I spent the whole day revising my Aesthetics essay according to the advice that Professor Russell had given me. I started to put Arthur Danto’s argument in my own words and to arrange it with my own examples. Then I put the arguments against Danto’s argument into my own words and finally offered an argument against that argument for my conclusion.

No comments:

Post a Comment