Monday 21 November 2016

My Hero Died but I Got An "A" on my Philosophy Paper



            On Thursday November 10th I checked my essay mark online and was pleasantly shocked to find that I’d gotten an A. I have never gotten a full A in Philosophy. I got an A minus a few years ago for the Philosophy of Sex, but most of my marks in that minor have been Bs of some sort. I wish I knew what I did right.
            That evening during dinner I watched an episode of the “Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour” which brought the cast of that show together with the one from Danny Thomas’s “Make Room for Daddy”. The situation was that Ricky was scheduled to spend two months in Hollywood to make a movie and so they rented their house in Connecticut to the Williams family from New York. The problem was though that after the lease had been signed, Danny’s family had moved in for their holiday in the country and the Ricardos were on their way out the door, Ricky got a call from his agent telling him that the movie was cancelled. So Lucy, Ricky and Little Ricky moved into the guesthouse with Fred and Ethel. But it drove Lucy nuts to be living next door to someone that was occupying her own house. She kept checking in on them under the pretense of picking up items that she’d forgotten but then whenever she was there she would move furniture they’d moved for their convenience back to the way she wanted it. Finally, Danny blew up at her and reminded her that he had a lease. He told her to get out and that he’d have her arrested if she came back during the next two months.
            After that, only Danny’s wife, Kathy had any contact with Lucy. Kathy came by one morning a month later to tell her to tell her that she’d made out the rent check and left it beside Danny’s bed. She had to go out but Danny would sign the cheque when he woke up. That’s when Lucy kicked u a mean spirited plan that would never have occurred on the earlier I Love Lucy series.
            Lucy decided to sneak into the bedroom and take the unsigned cheque. The plan was Danny and Kathy would both think the rent had been paid but since it hadn’t, Lucy would be able to evict them. When Ethel had reminded her that this would be stealing, Lucy said that since the cheque was made out to her it was legally hers, so she wasn’t stealing.
            Lucy made it into the bedroom and was about to leave with the cheque when she decided to water some of her plants while she was there. She bumped into something and Danny half woke up. He asked, “Is that you Kathy?” Lucy had to verbally pretend that she was Danny’s wife, hoping that he wouldn’t be fully awake before he saw her. She put on Kathy’s housecoat and one of her kerchief’s and tried to sneak past Danny’s bed but he, thinking she was Kathy, slapped her on the ass and told her to rub his back.
            What followed was a comical scene of Lucy trying to give Danny a massage without looking at him and without him looking at her, until Kathy walked in.
            That night before bed I checked the news online and was surprised to see that Leonard Cohen, the only hero I’ve had in my adult life, had died.

No comments:

Post a Comment