Monday 19 June 2017

A Cross-Examination of a Man with a Cross at the Crossing



After the food bank on Saturday I went to the bank machine at King and Dufferin to take out $20, then I went to Freshco to buy some grapes, bananas and yogourt. I set aside $2.50 because I wanted to go to the café across the street and find out their correct wi-fi password. I figured that when I’d gone there on Thursday I must have misunderstood what they’d told me because what I’d written down hadn’t worked as a network key.
            When I got home I put the groceries away, grabbed my laptop, went across to the café and stood in line. I was all ready to spend $2.50 plus a tip for a coffee but when I saw the very obvious password written on the blackboard in capital letters underneath the name of their network I decided that I was too poor to spend that much on a small cup of coffee. I went to the liquor store instead to buy a couple of cans of Creemore. Back home after a couple of tries I was able to log onto a much less slippery signal than the café’s other network. I finally got some of my regular internet dependant tasks accomplished that had been so difficult for the last three days.
            There was a chance of thunderstorms but the sky didn’t look that way in the late afternoon so I took my bike ride. I made sure before I left though, in case of another handlebar slippage situation, to fish from my tool drawer the set of Allen keys that Nick Cushing had given me. It seemed kind of dumb for me not to have had them with me in the first place, seeing as how they don’t take up much space in my backpack. Since it was Saturday there was a lot less competition from other cyclists at that hour. I passed several musical ensembles of various genres as I travelled along Bloor. Some were busking and some seemed to be part of little festivals.
            Just after Broadview on the Danforth the cops were diverting the cars off the main drag, but I signalled to the policeman to ask if that meant me and he waved me forward. I was worried that they were setting up for the annual Taste of the Danforth, or as I call it, “The Taste of Hades”, but it turned out that they were just unloading the barriers to close off a block or two on Saturday for the sixth annual Taste of the Grill festival.
            I rode to Glebemount and then north to explore the four block grid from Queensdale to Frater and from Glebemount to Woodbine. On the way back, I stopped at the Broadview traffic light and on the corner there was an evangelist, with a sign that read “Sacrifice”, being debated forcefully by a young man on a bicycle. Together they made for an interesting image and I stayed to take a few pictures of them but they were backlit by the sun so it didn’t turn out as well as I’d hoped.
            I rode all the way to Brock on Bloor Street and then home. It had been a satisfying ride that made me feel healthy and strong. On top of that I discovered that Coffeetime had repaired its wi-fi, so I had my most dependable connection back.
            That night I watched the last two of the five Jungle Jim episodes that I’d found on Pirate Bay. In the first one, Jim got shanghaied by a group that wanted him to guide them to a giant pearl in the jungle of an island in the south seas that was forbidden to white people. His motivation was that they’d sent one of their crew, who happened to be a former member of the Gestapo, to Jim’s place, with orders to kill his son if he didn’t obey them. They found the natives of the island about to sacrifice a beautiful young woman to their oyster god.
            In the second episode, Jim, because of a clerical error on the part of education officials back in the States, had received a letter that his son Skipper had been showing poor test results on his lessons. Because of this Jim hired a very prim, middle-aged tutor for Skipper named Mrs. Haddock. Despite the fact that she was working for an expert in the jungle she considered Jim’s knowledge to be inferior to a certain Dr. Flugle who’d written a book about Africa that she always carried with her. It turned out though that Flugle was a proven fraud that’d never even been to Africa. Since Flugle’s book talked about the elephants graveyard she insisted that it really existed and took Jim’s son with her to look for it. They found poachers and trouble.

            

No comments:

Post a Comment