Tuesday 27 June 2017

The Performance



            On Monday I watched the video that Nick Cushing made of my performance at the Smiling Buddha on June 3rd. It’s odd how he made me look fat when I’m actually a very skinny person but the mirror does that too. All the words were clear but it sounds a little tinny. He titled it “The Acid Trip”, which I’d like to remove, since the piece is called “Temporary Eternity”. I think that I should have taken my watch off before performing as well. Other than that it worked out pretty well and I’d like to put a further edited version up on YouTube.
            I started listening to the Talking Heads first album. I particularly like “Don’t Worry About the Government”. David Byrne has an interesting song writing style and a great voice. It seems to me that the band, at least at that point, weren’t as good as his songs, and yet their simpler style pulled it off.
            It rained a couple of times during the day and so I decided not to take a bike ride even though it had stopped. I envisioned there would have been some big puddles along my way to the east end if I had gone.
            I did some knee exercises at home while listening to an episode of Amos and Andy from 1946 on which Al Jolson guest starred. He sang a medley of his hits, the best of which was “You Made Me Love You” by James Monaco and Joseph McCarthy. Jolson didn’t play a character in the story but at the end when he talked to Amos and Andy, who never spoke out of character, Jolson put on dialect like they did. He used his normal voice to address the audience at the close of the show.
            It turns out that Al Jolson and I have the same birthday, 69 years apart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment