Thursday 22 June 2017

Maverick



            I woke up without the alarm on Wednesday, but I felt like I’d been cheated out of continuing a good sleep anyway. I felt groggy through yoga but it went away once I started singing.
            It was quite a bit cooler outside than it has been lately. I had all of the windows open but closed some of them halfway through song practice.
            I spent quite a bit of time running quickly through the movie War Machine before deleting it because I wanted to screen-capture some images of Meg Tilly.
            I took a siesta in the early afternoon and slept half an hour longer than usual again. This time it didn’t cut into my bike ride because I went to bed earlier.
            The clouds were beautiful and spread out evenly to the north in an endless array.
            I rode to Glebemount and then north to explore and eight-block grid from Glebemount to Woodbine and from Holborne to Plains Road.
            On the way back I stopped to pee at the Starbucks where one has to punch the key code for the washroom doors. As I was unlocking my bike a saw a woman walking and saying to her dog, “Do you think we’re going to stop for cappuccino and ice cream every day? I don’t think so!”
 I went down Yonge Street to College and took that west all the way to Brock. In little Italy a little brown cat with black stripes was out on College rubbing itself against the left front tire of a parked car. I assume it was lost.
            When I got home I went back out to the liquor store. The guy in front of me paid for his items from debit with his phone. It was the first time I’d seen someone do that. I wonder if there’s an extra charge by the bank for that.
            I watched the first episode of the western series, Maverick. I remember watching it as a kid but nothing really stood out in my memory other than that James Garner’s character was a charming and good-hearted gambler. The first episode showed that he was also very clever but there was nothing particularly interesting about the story. Bret Maverick arrived in a mining town and that night defeated Phineas King, the owner of the town in a poker game, even though the owner cheated. After that the tycoon wanted Maverick run out of town. He had him beaten up but that just made Maverick want to stay and defeat him. He got all the miners in town to form a company with him to compete with King. The only thing interesting about the story was that Maverick profited from a law which had yet to be changed, which stated that if a vein of ore starts on your property you are allowed to mine that vein until it is broken, even if it continues into someone else’s mine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment