Friday 6 July 2018

Lynn Loring



            Just when you think it can’t get any hotter, it does. I felt crazy going for a bike ride in that oven, but I did it anyway.
            On the Bloor bike lane in the Annex, I called out to a cyclist ahead of me to ask if I could pass on her left. She turned her head, looked back at me coldly and didn’t move a millimetre to the right. I squeezed past her on the left anyway, coming close to hitting the posts and said, “Thanks”.
            Once I got used to it the heat was bearable.
            Nobody passed me on the way east but a couple of riders were close on my tail for quite a while. It’s actually more relaxing to have other cyclists ahead than close behind.
            I rode up Pharmacy to Donside and turned right. The Warden Woods takes up a big space between Pharmacy and Warden and so Donside ended pretty soon. I went north on Presley and took that to Florens, turned right and it also ended at the woods. I turned left on Herron and then followed Moreau Trail as it wound its way to St Clair. All of the houses I passed on all these streets were big, new and boring. Warden was very close at this point and I took that south all the way to Danforth.
            I stopped at Starbucks to pea and to slurp a lot of water from the washroom tap.
            When I got home it was two weeks since the spill I took and severely scraped my elbow. There’s still a little black scab on my elbow and it still hurts a bit during yoga but it’s getting better.
            I heated up some tandoori samosas and had them with some yogourt to offset the spicy heat. I watched two episodes of Dobie Gillis.
            In the first story Maynard meets a girl named Eddy who is just like him. She dresses like him and likes the same things, such as watching wrecking balls destroy buildings and seeing sheep being dipped. For some reason Dobie is disturbed by their relationship because Eddy doesn’t behave like a girl. He gives Maynard two tickets to the dance and encourages them to come together. Maynard and Eddy decide it would be funny to go and Eddy’s parents make her wear a dress and her sister does her hair. She suddenly looks like a girl and boys are fighting over her at the dance. She likes it and suddenly doesn’t like the things that Maynard likes any more. I found this story a bit disturbing. Eddy is of college age. Maybe if she was twelve she could easily make the sudden switch from tomboy to girly-girl but at that age she probably knows what she likes already. Maybe if she kind of liked the girly stuff it would have been more realistic but the moral seems to be that a girl will always eventually want to be a girl.
            Eddy was played by Lynn Loring, who went on to become the president of MGM television studios. She also produced the movie Mr Mom.
            In the second story Dobie takes a course in commodities because it’s what this girl she likes loves. The class invests with fake money and calculates their gains or losses, and Daphne is very good at it. Dobie follows her investments in eggs but decides that he will do it with real money. He pawns his mother’s mink coat for $500 to begin investing. He makes a real profit but doesn’t sell when he’s supposed to. One is supposed to sell on spot day, which is closing day on the Chicago stock market. If one doesn’t sell on spot day one has to accept delivery on the commodity. So Dobie wound up with 15,000 X 12 eggs. Fortunately the government is looking for a lab to grow a new experimental vaccine and the university accepted the contract. Labs grow vaccines in fresh eggs so Dobie was able to sell most of them.
           

No comments:

Post a Comment