Saturday 7 July 2018

Sleep Behaviour Disorder



            My bedroom is very small but my double futon fits comfortably from wall to wall with a few centimetres to spare. I can stretch my body on my bed but if I were to stretch out one leg I could hit the wall. Early Thursday morning I must have been dreaming because at one point in my sleep I suddenly kicked out my left foot and slammed my big toe into the wall. I woke up in extreme pain that didn’t subside for a good half an hour. The next time I woke up my body was covered in sweat because of the heat. When I got up at 5:00 I was limping and my big toenail was a light shade of purple underneath. Some yoga poses were painful if I had to put weight on my toes. Just when my elbow has almost stopped hurting during certain poses I suddenly get another injury to intrude on my comfort. I’m okay with doing something stupid while I’m awake but it pisses me off that I can’t trust myself not to hurt my body while it’s sleeping. It looks like I might have a mild case of sleep behaviour disorder. Doesn’t everybody move their body to their dreams sometimes? Supposedly only 1% of the population has REM sleep behaviour disorder. I've never walked in my sleep but my brother did and my sister used to sit up in her sleep and talk. What if I wake up and catch me strangling myself or smothering me with a pillow? To be fair, this is the first time I’ve ever had an injury in my sleep in my whole life, so hopefully it won’t happen for another 63 years. I only limped for a little while and though there is a crack in my toenail it stopped bothering me very much. We’ll see how yoga goes on Friday.
            Thursday was even hotter than Wednesday, which was hotter than Tuesday. Even tap water tasted like melted ice. There was a 60% chance of rain in the afternoon so I decided that I wouldn’t take a bike ride but I really didn’t want to go out in this heat. At 17:00 I put on my sandals and rode down to Freshco to buy grapes and yogourt, but I also picked up a jug each of ice tea and lemonade.
            It did rain a bit during the time I would have been riding but not much here in Parkdale. It might have come down harder further east though so I’m glad I stayed home.
            I got caught up on my journal and did some work on my book cover. I practiced playing “Andalusian Dream”, my translation of Gerard de Nerval's “Andalouse”, four times. I organized my song practice videos in chronological order so I can go through them more easily and find which song to edit next.
            The rain finally came in a thunderstorm at around 20:30 and cooled the air off.
            I had a chicken breast, a potato and gravy for dinner and watched Dobie Gillis.
            In the first story Chatsworth Osborn asks Dobie’s father to teach him how to be a man and invites him to stay in the mansion while he is doing so. Chatsworth’s mother supposedly goes to India on a tiger hunt but she secretly stays behind to spy through paintings. Dobie’s father and mother succumb to the temptations of wealth but Chatsworth becomes a man by himself.
            In the second story Dobie and Zelda learn from a sociology course that married people live longer, have more money and kill themselves less. Dobie is convinced from this that he should marry Zelda. At first she’s okay with that but she still wants Dobie to court her first, which he says he maybe will do someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment