Saturday 9 November 2019

Bullwhip



On Friday morning I worked out the chords to "Par hazard et pas rasé" (By Hazard and Unrazored) by Serge Gainsbourg and ran through it in French. But when I tried singing it in English a lot of my translation didn’t fit the music and so I had to rework my adaptation. I changed the title to “Unshaven and by Chance”.
That morning I tried to work on my Indigenous Studies essay but I was sleepy and kept nodding. I forced myself to not go to bed until after lunch because I didn't want to throw my cycle off but I didn’t get much work done. I had a chicken drumstick and some yogourt with honey for lunch.
After a siesta I was able to tackle my essay. I just gathered some ideas about how people are named after the places with which they interact.
I did some exercises in the afternoon and watched the first nine minutes of a Naked City episode entitled “The Sandman”. The download was incomplete and so there was no audio. The video was less choppy this time and so I could somewhat follow the story. What seems to have happened is that a guy on the waterfront is carrying a barrel. A cop stops to question him. He seems to be telling the cop about how he used to be a boxer. I’m guessing that his fighting nickname might have been “The Sandman” because of his ability to knock his opponents out. When the cop’s guard is down the guy slugs him, knocks him into the water and he drowns. The guy goes home to a room where he lives with someone that seems to be his older brother. His brother is in bed and apparently sleeping. The guy takes a wad of money and hides it in a suitcase and then he goes to the bathroom. His brother gets up and gets the money out of the suitcase. The guy comes out of the bathroom and they have a long serious talk. In the next scene the cop’s body is fished out of the river and detectives are investigating.
I continued to work on my Indigenous Studies essay.
I made beef gravy from some drippings I had in the fridge. I had a potato, two drumsticks and gravy for dinner while watching episode three of Zorro.
In this story Torres continues to avoid capture by taking refuge in the cathedral at the mission. The mission has an orange grove and uses indigenous people to do the farming. One of these is half Spanish and he goes to Captain Monastario to sell him the information about Torres’s whereabouts. The captain goes with his men to the mission at the same time as Don Diego arrives. By the rules of sanctuary the church can shelter someone for 40 days. Since Monastario is afraid of the consequences from the king of Spain and the pope of breaking the laws of sanctuary he devises a plant to torture the mission Natives until Torres gives himself up. They are being whipped and forced to perform the useless heavy labour of moving large rocks from place to place when Torres gives himself up. Don Diego finally has a chance to change to Zorro and he attacks the soldiers with his own whip. The Natives escape and then Zorro and Monastario have a prolonged and very unlikely bullwhip battle on horseback until of course Zorro wins and sends Monastario packing.

No comments:

Post a Comment