Friday 29 November 2019

Indian Act versus Treaties: Canada said two different things at the same time


            
            On Thursday morning I copied the rest of the last set of chords I’d found for “Le complainte du progres" by Boris Vian. Next I have to find which chords work for me.
            I finished memorizing “Pamela Popo” by Serge Gainsbourg and looked for the chords online but as I suspected, no one has posted them. It’s a simple blues melody so it shouldn't too hard to work them out.
            I worked on typing my lecture notes.
            A few weeks ago I bought two small containers of Tetley Earl Grey tea. The first one was fine but the second one tasted like gasoline and so I bought a much more expensive box of the same brand at Loblaws. I discovered afterwards though that only the first two bags of the other pack tasted vile and the rest were okay.
            I can smell the Christmas trees in my apartment from the corner store across the street.
            I went to Freshco in the late morning and bought four bags of black grapes, two half pints of raspberries, a 500 gram bag of frozen shrimp for $5, spoon size shredded wheat, a bag of McCain wedges, orange juice, hot salsa, dish detergent and paper towels.
            For lunch I heated a burger that I’d cooked a few days before.
            In the afternoon I did my exercises while listening to Amos and Andy. The story begins with Sapphire complaining to her husband Kingfish that the reason he is a no good dirty bum is that he hangs out with Andy Brown. Next we hear that Andy has just received a telegram from his uncle in Brazil offering him $200 a week to help manage his rubber plantation. Kingfish decides to cash in by opening a travel agency to arrange for Andy’s trip. Andy says he hears he has to go through customs and he asks Kingfish what that is. Kingfish tells him that Customs is a bunch of islands owned by Spain off the coast of Gibraltar and it’s a wonderful trip going through them. Kingfish goes to a travel agent to arrange Andy’s trip but the agent doesn’t know where Brazil is. He says, “Tell your friend to be reasonable! If we can’t find it he can’t go there!” Finally, wanting the $200 a week for himself, Kingfish steals Andy’s ticket and ships out. When Andy tells Sapphire she says that she sent the telegram pretending to be Andy’s uncle because she’d wanted Andy to leave town.
            I got caught up on my journal and returned to working on my essay but it was too late in the day for me to apply a lot of brainpower to it. I wrote about the Indian Act being illegal under international law. It’s also ironic that the Canadian would enact a law to govern all Indians while at the same time negotiating several treaties with groups that it recognized as being sovereign nations by the very act of negotiating treaties with them. Canada was effectively speaking out of both sides of its mouth. I have a little over three days before the deadline.
            I grilled some pork ribs and had a few for dinner with a potato and gravy while watching Zorro.
            In this story the fake commandant sees Rosarita with Don Diego in the Los Angeles market and recognizes her from the boat that he took to get there. He hides when he sees her because she met the real commandant on board before he killed him and she could expose him as an impostor. Bernardo overhears the fake Ortega plotting to kill Rosarita and he runs to warn Don Diego. Dressed in civilian clothes and introducing himself as Sancho Fernandez he comes to Rosarita’s uncle’s house at night while her uncle is away and the servants are asleep. He is just starting to attack her when Zorro arrives. They have a swordfight for a while until Fernandez escapes. Knowing that he will soon be exposed and that his mission has failed he goes to the magistrate’s office and robs him. He is just leaving when Zorro gets there. They fight on the roof and at one point he has the upper hand and unmasks Zorro. Zorro recovers but as they are fighting again Fernandez falls from the roof and dies. Zorro’s identity is safe.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment