Monday 4 November 2019

Dizzy



            On Sunday morning the alarm rang at 4:00 and I realized that we'd moved out of Daylight Savings Time. I got an extra hour of sleep.
            I was still dizzy when I got up and it was worse during some of my yoga exercises in which I turned my head from side to side or tilted it back.
I posted "Panpan culcul” (A Good Spanking" by Serge Gainsbourg on my Christian's Translations blog.
I flushed out my ears in hopes that it would quell some of the dizziness. It might have worked, since the dizziness subsided shortly afterward.
I washed another section of my bedroom floor near the west wall where my bed sits. This part wasn't so bad for plaster splatters and paint but the rest of the way leading to the northwest corner is going to be tough.


I worked on research about the Carrying Place Trail on the Humber River for my Indigenous Studies essay, which is due in two weeks.
I did my exercises in the afternoon while listening to Amos and Andy. In this 1947 story the Kingfish and Sapphire are looking for a smaller and more affordable place to live but that’s almost impossible due to the housing shortage. Kingfish plans to find a way to get Andy to move out of his room so they can move in. He convinces him to buy a trailer but it’s so small that the stove is under the mattress. He tells Andy he can use the springs for a grill to cook burgers. Andy likes the idea of the free life on the road except that he doesn’t own a car. Around this point the Delta Rhythm Boys sing “Get Your Kicks on Route 66”. 


Kingfish arranges for someone with a car to share the trailer with him but the person is a lawyer named LaGuardia who is almost blind and so Andy refuses. Finally he goes in partnership with Lightning and they hit the road but they can’t find a place to sleep. Meanwhile Kingfish and Sapphire move out of their apartment but just before going to rent Andy’s old place they find he’s moved back in. They are forced to live in the trailer.
I read a few chapters of The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde and have a little over a hundred pages left.
I continued my research into the history of Teiaiagon village. It changed hands from the Iroquois to the Mississauga around 1700. Some would say the French chased the Iroquois back to New York but I found a book that argues that the Ojibwa won the war against the Iroquois. I only found a sample of it though and so I’ll have to look for a complete copy.
I had the other burger that I’d made on Saturday with French fries and a beer while watching an episode of The Naked City that has been in my downloads for a year. It was only at 62.6% and so it had freezes that left the story choppy. It begins with a blind man standing at a traffic light and a cop stops to walk him across. He says he’s looking for an address and the cop helps him find it but it’s a warehouse. The blind man asks if they can go inside and talk to a caretaker but once they are inside and the cop’s back is turned we see the man is only pretending to be blind as he stabs the cop in the back and kills him. After the murder the blind man kneels and kisses the cop’s hand. Investigators say the killer understood anatomy in order to know where to stab from behind. Later another cop survives an attack by a man pretending to have a diabetic seizure. Then we meet the killer, who looks something like Anthony Perkins. His name is Erwin Lovegod and he works in a hospital. He lives with his aunt. One detective named Adam is studying psychotic behaviour from his girlfriend Libby’s library as the other cops follow leads. Irwin collects toy soldiers. All of the police have been told to be suspicious of people asking for help. Next Irwin lures a cop into a building by pretending that his wife has just gone into labour. He kills the cop but a tenant sees him and he runs. A broken toy soldier is found nearby and the detective finds that it is a collector’s item that is only sold at one store. The proprietor happens to know the name of the buyer. They talk to his aunt and the detective finds him hiding in the hospital. He thinks the detective is his father. He throws chemicals in the detective’s face and partially blinds him. He pursues Irwin to the roof and Irwin is about to kill him when the detective tells him he’s blind. Still thinking it’s his father he says, “You never asked me for help before” and he gives up.
Libby was played by Nancy Malone who was the first female vice president at 20th Century Fox. She won an Emmy as a producer and was nominated for two directorial Emmys. She was also an equestrian, a painter, a poet, a football and a baseball player.



No comments:

Post a Comment