Sunday 10 November 2019

Unpacking Oscar



            On Saturday morning I posted "Par hazard et pas rasé" (Unshaven and by Chance) by Serge Gainsbourg on my Christian’s Translations blog and on Facebook. The next song by Gainsbourg I’m going to learn is “Des vents des pets des poums” (Farts Blowing a Typhoon) about a guy standing around farting while he’s being stood up by a date.
            I worked on my Aesthetic and Decadent Movements essay.
            I went to No Frills where I bought four bags of grapes, a half pint of raspberries. A pack of three striploin steaks, mouthwash, a box miniwheats, and four containers of Greek yogourt. The cashier told the customer before me to “Have a good one” but she didn’t say it to me.
            I’ve noticed that in front of the apartment building at the southwest corner of King and Jameson there are signs on ach side of the building that read: “Private Property. Do Not Feed the Pigeons. You Will Be Prosecuted!” I wonder what the actual charge would be. Would it really mention pigeons or would it be a kind of “dumping on private property” charge?
            I tried to work on my essay before but as with the day before I felt too sleepy to generate ideas. I was able to stay awake however while reading chapter six of The Inconvenient Indian by Thomas King. He wrote about living in New Zealand for a year when he was only legally allowed to b there for two months. When an official called him he said he would try to help him stay but when he asked questions and heard he was Indian he was told they don’t grant visas to Indians. He’d thought that he’d meant he was from India. When he found out King was an American Indian he asked, “You mean like cowboys and Indians?” He didn’t get to stay but went to Australia for two years. When he returned to the States in the late 60s he started going to college in California. He was part of his first demonstration when he helped occupy Alcatraz Island.
            I had cheese on toast for lunch and then took a siesta.
            When I got up I had the energy to work on my essay.
            In the afternoon I did my exercises while watching another seven minutes of the unintentionally silent Naked City episode called “The Sandman”. Even though I exercise for twenty minutes I couldn’t watch more because some of my exercises have me faced away from the screen. As far as I could tell, one of the detectives was posing as a worker on the docks to get information about the murder of the cop. The worker that actually killed the cop gets mad and punches him.
            I worked on my essay but I needed to do research. I had made a claim that Oscar Wilde looks for ugliness in accepted beauty and so I looked in The Picture of Dorian Gray for an example. I read the first two chapters out loud but couldn’t find proof of my statement.
            I made pasta sauce from a bag of frozen chopped tomatoes, another of frozen chopped green peppers, some tomato paste and garlic powder. I boiled the last of my spiral pasta and had half the pasta and sauce with a beer for dinner while watching the fourth episode of Zorro.
            In this story Monastario’s new plan to capture Torres is to create a false threat of an Indian attack and to put the mission under military rule. He has his men surround and occupy the mission and prevent any food or water to be brought to Torres. Zorro tries to bring him food bought he is discovered and almost captured. Plan B is that as Don Diego he plants the rumour of a ghost story of a mad monk that haunts the mission. The story spreads amongst the soldiers. That night his servant Bernardo poses as the ghost. H uses a sling to throw rocks at the mission bell to cause it to ring with no one pulling the rope. He howls, laughs and rattles chains. Bernardo is supposed to be mute. How much noise can he actually make with his voice? Then from the trees Bernardo and Zorro begin shooting arrows at the soldiers. They think it’s an Indian attack and they run away. Torres can finally eat and drink again.
            I re-read another chapter of The Picture of Dorian Gray before bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment