Sunday 17 November 2019

Elvera Corona



            On Saturday morning my hip was bothering me more than usual. I assume it’s been aggravated by modelling work.
I memorized the first verse and the chorus of “Titicaca” by Serge Gainsbourg.
            I worked a bit on my Indigenous Studies essay, which is due in two days.
            I finished listening to The Zombies discography. Besides “She’s Not There”, “Tell Her No” and especially "Time of the Season" most of their stuff sounds like any British invasion band.
            I went to No Frills where I bought three bags of grapes, a half pint of blueberries, a small whole chicken, mouthwash, Greek yogourt, salsa and a jar of roasted peanuts.
            I had cheddar on toast for lunch.
            I worked on my Indigenous Studies essay.
            I did my exercises in the afternoon while watching another seven minutes of The Naked City episode "A Turn of Events". Continuing to investigate the murder of the guy in the office the cops interview a taxi dance club manager and then some fancy people on a balcony overlooking the Brooklyn Bridge. 
            I spent almost three hours straight working on my Indigenous Studies paper. There’s really not much of an essay there yet with only about a day and a half to go.
            I baked oven fries, put salsa on top and then melted cheese. I had them with a beer for dinner while watching Zorro.
            This story begins in a cantina where customers are being entertained by a beautiful and very talented flamenco dancer. After her performance two men get into a sword fight over her affections but one is an excellent swordsman and the other is killed. Monastario arrests him but tells him he can use his swordsmanship to win his freedom. Monastario plans to invite all of the important landowners of Los Angeles to a dinner party and to have the swordsman arrive dressed as Zorro and rob everyone. The plan is to turn the people against Zorro. But Don Diego also attends the party and when the fake Zorro begins to rob everyone Diego slips away to change to Zorro. He defeats both Monastario and the fake Zorro in sword battles and his reputation is saved.
            The dancer was played by Elvera Corona, who got a bit of work in television but not enough for much to be known about her. She certainly was on of the best Spanish dancers I’ve seen on TV.


            I worked some more on my essay. At the end of the day I managed to whittle my notes down from 37 to 29 pages.

No comments:

Post a Comment