Tuesday 13 September 2016

A Visit to the Dentist

           


            At 9:30 on Monday, July 25th, I called the dentist to make the soonest possible appointment. I was offered a choice between a 15:30 appointment or I could come to the walk-in clinic before 14:00. I asked what the difference was and she told me that with the walk-in I might have to wait for an hour and a half. I guess if I’d been in pain I might have chosen the walk-in, but since this was more of an aesthetic emergency, the only pain would have come from the waiting.
            I took an early one-hour siesta before heading out.
            I rode up Lansdowne, which is still receiving repairs, but that was good because there was no oncoming traffic from the north to intrude on me making a left turn on Dundas. I took Dundas all the way to Bloor, where my dentist’s office is on the north west block. It looks like they’ve changed their company name from Dentistry with Care to Smile City Dental. That’s certainly a better name to stick with, though I wish they were able to stick with one dentist that I could get used to. As it is, I pretty much end up with a different delegate of the United Nations of dentistry every year. The first time I came I had the very nice Shelly Pang, but then she had immigration problems and had to go back to Vietnam. Next I had this horrible dentist from India with her clumsy assistant from Latin America. Then for two years in a row I had the very good Dr Max, who was from somewhere in Eastern Europe, with a very good assistant who had been a dentist back home in Venezuela but wasn’t qualified yet to be one in Canada. Dr Max moved on up to a better practice in Oakville. The next year I had Dr Thomas, with the same assistant, and I think he was even better than Dr Max. He was definitely from south Asia and when he gave me his card there was a long Indian name crossed out with “Dr Thomas” written in. This time around I had a new dentist named Dr He. It was too bad that Dr He wasn’t a woman, because I could write a whole Abbott and Costello skit around the name, especially if the assistant’s name was She. “Who’s your dentist? He is! Who? He! Where is he? Right there! That’s a she! No, She is his assistant! Who’s the dentist then? He is!” and so on.
I was fifteen minutes early but his tall and young assistant called for me before I was settled in the waiting area.
            Dr He confirmed that it was my filling that broke off. He was more concerned though about the area around the only tooth I have left in the back on the lower right side. He said that it’s loose and that the paradental pocket beside it has gotten deeper. He said we needed to take x-rays and so his assistant left the room. I waited and then Dr He said for me to follow his assistant. It was the first time I’d had to go to a different room to get x-rays at that clinic. The x-ray room was sort of white like the other rooms but they don’t seem to care about maintaining it as much, since it needed a paint job and many of the floor tiles were cracked and ragged. After a couple of uncomfortable poses I was back in He’s room.
            The x-rays showed that I had a paradental cyst around the loose tooth and that it could spread if the tooth was not removed. He also told me that I should get a denture to replace it because without a tooth beneath them the upper teeth would grow longer. That didn’t make sense to me because I had some teeth removed when I was a teenager and I didn’t notice any extra growth from above. He showed me with a mirror that some of my upper teeth have indeed grown down, but still, that has been over several decades. At the age of sixty-one, should I be worried about upper teeth growing down over the next thirty years?
I wouldn’t say that the assistant was incompetent, but I didn’t get the impression that he had lot of experience. Quite often when the dentist asked for an instrument either by name or by number, he didn’t know which one to hand him and so Dr He had to describe it, often with a touch of impatience in his voice, as in, “No, the round one!” Or, “No the thinner one!” When the dentist left the room to check whether I had the insurance to cover the filling, the assistant was still in the room. I asked his name and he told me it was Bogdon. I inquired if he’d been doing this very long and he said, “No, not really.” He told me that he was actually a dentist in the Ukraine but that he needs more training to be qualified to work in Canada. That seems to be the story with quite a few of the assistants at Smile City.
            Anyway, He repaired my filling and he said that I needed to make another appointment to get a cleaning and to have the lower back tooth removed. But there was a question about my Green Shield coverage, because it only covers a percentage of the cost. I’d always thought Smile City price was already a discount because it always balances out to me paying nothing. They had to check with Green Shield before I could make the appointment, so I waited ten minutes. They found out that Green Shield has the same coverage for me as in previous years. It seems that the dentists just choose to take a cut in some cases like mine in order for me to pay nothing, though it probably means they are still making plenty of money out of it. They gave me an appointment for Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment