Monday 26 September 2016

The Guy With The Bike

           


            On Wednesday, July 27th, the food bank line-up existed but had yet to take form. I positioned myself after the three women who were chatting furthest back from the door, though I wasn’t sure exactly where I stood.
            When it got close to 10:00, the line snapped in place. Julie, one of the women that had been chatting, had also been paying attention, and redirected two or three people to their proper place in line. Margaret was behind her and she told three people their positions behind me, or as she called me, “The guy with the bike”. So it looks like I’ve been identified. I thanked her for clearing things up. I said, “Sometimes I get confused.” Margaret, thinking that I was referring to a general condition of being confused, responded in a sympathetic tone, “That’s all right! Nobody’s perfect!”
            While I was at reception giving my name and year of birth so the guy could find my file on the computer, the vegetable lady came to the refrigerator just to my right and had overheard my year of birth. “One year before me!” she said. I noticed their fridge had several bricks of butter in it but in my experience they’ve never given any to food bank clients.
            I got number 14 and then rode to No Frills to buy milk for my coffee. On my way home, I passed three bike cops, chatting as they rode together. Come to think of it, I rarely see bicycle policemen that aren’t shooting the breeze with one another. I went into the centre lane to make a left turn from King onto Dunn Avenue, but was stopped by the traffic light. The pedal cops had the same idea and were lined up like ducks behind me as I waited. The only snippet of their ongoing conversation that I picked up before I turned and left them behind was when one of them said, “I’d rather work New Years than Caribana!”
            A couple of hours later, when my number was called, my helper was Bruce, who was sweating from and struggling with the heat.
            From the top of the first set of shelves I took a can of turkey gravy.
Below that shelf there were more bagged snacks and crackers than usual and I picked a bag of Red Curry Kettle Chips.
            From the bottom shelf there was a small bag of mini Ritz Bits cheese sandwiches and Bruce gave me a couple of handfuls of Fibre 1 lemon bars.
            I skipped the pasta shelf and the one with the canned beans, but I did take a can of organic lentil vegetable soup.
            Below the soup were a choice of artificially sweetened ice tea and cans of the healthier brown rice smoothy. I told Bruce that I’d take the smoothy and declared, “Those are good!” I think I remembered them as being good because they are sweetened with cane sugar and have some other healthy ingredients even though they really taste like a combination between medicine and ass. Bruce said that he liked them too and that they were good cold. He gave me two.
            I took a box of Shreddies from the last set of shelves.
            In the cool section there was a choice between four small Activia yogourts and a bag of chocolate milk. I took the yogourt.
            The closest thing to meat they had this time were a couple of beef patties.
            The best items they had were a couple of nice Longos salads in plastic containers. One was a Tuscany bean salad and the other a cranberry quinoa pumpkin seed salad.
            I was totally out of bread at home so I took one whole-wheat and one raisin loaf.
            The vegetable lady gave me some potatoes, a cucumber, a little bag of strawberries, and a bag of pea sprouts. She also still had lots of fresh vegetables from the community garden, such as kale, leaf lettuce, and young onion bulbs. Instead of putting them in my cloth bag from No Frills, I told her to wait while I got my plastic bag ready. She told me, “You know how to shop!”

No comments:

Post a Comment