Wednesday 7 September 2016

Dead Christmas Tree - Living Minaret

           


            On the evening Wednesday, July 13th, I rode out through the wicked heat, and once I’d ridden for fifteen minutes, I stopped to turn on the bike cam. At Bathurst though, I checked and saw that the screen was off. I tried turning it on a few more times along the way but it wasn’t recording. Crossing the windy Bloor Viaduct, I passed a woman walking while holding her skirt down. I rode to Donlands and Danforth and then explored the first three streets north of there over to Greenwood.
            Once I was done and in the shade, I checked the bike cam and saw that it read “battery low”. I had thought for sure I’d fully charged it but it behaved as if it had no charge at all.
Just like on the west side of Donlands, there is an interesting alley behind the north side of Danforth with lots of graffiti on the backs of buildings and on a dilapidated wooden fence lined with purple blossomed weeds and a beautiful old tree stump. A long dead Christmas tree lay inn the alley while the minaret from the local mosque towers above it. I took some photos.
This neighbourhood seems poorer than the area west of Donlands. I noticed quite a few Muslims and there is a big mosque called Madinah Masjid near the southeast corner. I wasn’t that impressed with the overall design of the mosque, but I like the minaret because it reminds me of my penis.
I cooked the steak I’d gotten earlier from the food bank. It turned out to be strips of steak, more suitable for a stir-fry, but I just grilled them alone anyway.
            I got a message from Nick Cushing, explaining to me that when the view screen on the bike cam goes black it doesn’t mean that it’s not working. It could have been still recording. It was bedtime so I didn’t check to see if there were any files to upload. I would try it the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment