Sunday 11 September 2016

Hawk Supermarket

           


            On the Thursday evening of July 21st, I took my bike ride. It was very hot and muggy and I was sweating a lot.
            I see one or two red-tailed hawks soaring above almost every time I approach Sherbourne on my way east. I wonder if it’s a mated couple and if they have a nest on the building on the corner of Sherbourne and Bloor. A good location near the hawk supermarket down in the ravine. “What would you like for dinner tonight honey?” “I’m kind of in the mood for chipmunk!”
            I rode up Donlands north of O’Connor and turned right on the next street, which didn’t go far and connected with another street that went back down to O’Connor.
            I continued on Donlands, but there were no more streets running off of it to the right until I got to the Leaside Bridge, so I just went south on Pape and headed home.
            Ahead of me between University and Spadina was a young guy driving a bicycle with a little gas-powered engine. The fumes coming from his machine were extremely noxious and one could smell it from several meters away. The pollution aside, is it even practical to be riding a gas-powered bicycle? One site says that ten years ago the gas powered kit to convert a bicycle would have been better, especially because electric batteries were at the time quite a bit heavier. Now apparently the weight is comparable and so the electric is better. Maybe the guy with his stinky bike can get more power and speed in a short-term trip, but I don’t know.

            I spent a little over five dollars on a battery for my guitar tuner.

No comments:

Post a Comment